What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help - Flap Piano Hinge

compren

I am working on my first flap and am to the point where I need to match drill the piano hinge to the bottom of the flap spar. The drawing doesn't look right to me and I just wanted to confirm a few things:

1.) Does the piano hinge run the entire length of the flap spar? The drawing looks like it comes up a few inches short of the entire length, but it was a long weekend and I may be seeing things that aren't there. In any case, I am not clear and am looking for insight.

2.) The piano hinge I have is a good 2' longer than the flap spar, do I just cut off the excess? Should I leave the hinge pin in when I cut, or am I going to need a longer hinge pin in the end?

3.) It looks like, later in the build, I need to decide on a couple different methods to secure that hinge pin. It also looks like 2 hinge pins are ultimately better than one for maintenance / working reasons. Is there anything I should do now when I am about to attach the hinge, or can it just wait?

Thanks for the help.

-John
RV-7A (Working on Wings)
Spring, TX

John,
I'm not sure how helpful this is. I don't have my drawings in front of me for the wings. I put them away a long time ago. But I do have some pics from my log showing the hinge for the flaps. I hope this is helpful. I do remember trimming the hinge to length, and you definitely want to remove the pins first! You'll need excess length on the pins to make a right-angle bend in the middle so you have something to hang onto to pull the pins out.

100_5613%20(Small).JPG

If you look close in the center, you'll see an eyelet or two removed to allow the hinge pins to be inserted and removed from that point.

100_5690%20(Small).JPG

Back