What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Fuel Tank removal help

harrydga

I'm New Here
I bought some already built RV-10 wings (slow build) a couple of years ago and was told the tanks passed a pressure test prior to placement into the wings. Now that I am ready for them, I repeated the pressure test and one tank failed with a leak along a lower seam inboard which I sealed but a retest failed again!
Now I am faced with having to remove the tank from the wing to find and seal the leak (leaks)! I have no build instructions for the wing and could really use a set if any one would care to let me borrow or buy one. There are a dozen or so bolts with nuts exposed in the two inspection holes and through the inboard rib, but I tried to loosen one and the bolt turned with the nut and there is no way to get to the other side! I thought that I'd better ask for help before I mess up things more than they are already! Would appreciate any help! - Thanks, - harrydga

Plans on CD

Call Vans and order the complete set of digital plans for RV10 on a CD. Cost is $10.00 and totally worth it. You will need it in the long run.
I'm at work now and cannot remember how those bolts come out, but I know it was simple and easy. I removed one tank about 6 months ago. Will check tonight if no-one else posts in the meantime.
Johan

The tank perimeter is attached with #8 flush screws. The rear tank brackets should have nutplates attached and the bolts are through the spar web in sets of three. Heads accessible through the inspection holes. No nuts. If you're turning nuts something isn't right or you're on the wrong bolts. You should get the plans CD for $10.

Also order a few of the tank inspection panel kits when you place the order with Vans. You need to cut an access hole in the aft wall and back seal the area adjacent to the leak to fix it correctly.

Back