What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need for rudder trim, RV-10?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Called Vans today and asked about electric rudder trim. They said that in all their testing it was not needed. I've read input from those that installed electric trim, I'd like to hear from those that haven't installed anything other than fix trim. If you would rather PM me as I'm just building the rudder and would like to know where I'm going.
Thanks Ron

I taped a small wood wedge on my rudder. That centers the ball for cruise and I've never felt a need to adjust it. I haven't figured out what I'll do for a more permanent solution (that may be it), but I'm sticking with some kind of fixed trim.

-Jim
N312JE

I am going to put rudder trim in my 10, mainly because I want to. The plane I flew for the last 20 years had rudder trim, and I got used to having it.

A fixed tab can only center the ball for one flight configuration. The normal setup is to trim for cruise, where you will spend most of your flying time, and just step on the ball for anything different, such as climb.

The choice is up to you, consider the factors, and do it however you want your airplane to be.

Enjoy,

Back