What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Fluting advice Tailcone F-1208 F-1209

DMason

I'm New Here
I would greatly appreciate any recommendations from those out there more experienced than myself at how to properly Flute the bulkheads of the tailcone. They seem to have a significant twist in them in that when the the flange is pointing down, this outside edge is flat but the web rises toward the inside and this inside smaller flange is much higher (when flat on a work surface) than the outside flange. I have looked at this, put it together, taken it apart and am at a loss as it seems to me like there is no place to flute that will bring it in alignment. If you turn it over and hold down the midpoint web flat on the work surface, the ends raise significantly off the work surface. I am still new at this so any advice will be much appreciated. I just included some photos. Thank you all in advance.
mason46385

Last edited:
Don't agonize too much over these bulkheads. I did a bit of "fluting by guess" near the sharper turns of the bilge and very little fluting near the straight portions. I never did get the bulkheads to lie flat but they lined and riveted well. They are very flexible before riveting but line up easily for clecoing and riveting. -- David #1200496

I hate to ask that but are you sure you're facing the flanges forward as they are supposed to go? Reason is that I just did that part a few days ago and was surprised about the fact that I didn't need to flute a thing. The holes lined up perfectly and there was no force needed to just slide the clecos in.
Look here

I appreciate the input, It is not an alignment issue of the flange holes to the skins as I have not gotten to that part of construction as of yet. When I got the flange straight as when laid flat against the work surface, the inside flange was / is substantially higher off the work surface. When I attached the left and right halves there was clearly quite of twist. Pressing the center of the assembly flat would raise the top and bottom etc. It seems like there would need to be additional flutes on the "web" to get that direction to lay flat. I assume that that is not an option. I am not satisfied with the quality that I am able to produce on these two bulkheads as the F-1210 is better but still not perfect. Thanks
mason46385

Last edited:
Your picture...

mason46385
Included photos for review

Tailconebulkhead1.jpg

Tip: Right click the photo in photobucket, click properties, copy the URL address, then in VAF click the Insert Image icon, paste URL.

Your bulkheads look normal to me, they should align properly when clecoed into the structure.

Tony

Back