What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need CFI with 25+ hours in 9A

GWZ

Well Known Member
Hi all, I'm in the final throws of buying a 9A. Called the insurance broker and the insurance co wants 5hrs transition time (expected that) but the CFI has to have 25 hrs in Model and Type. I'm just east of Indianapolis. I'd like to find someone that could fly/drive here that could give instruction in my (new to me) 9A. Barring that, does anyone know ANY CFI that fits the qualifications? None of the transition training guys listed on vans site fly 9As.
The insurance game is pretty frustrating. I have non owner insurance and unless I'm missing something in the policy I could fly the 9A and be covered - if I didn't own it??? Could I put it in my wife's name and fly it for a while to get the time in type?
thanks for any thoughts on this matter
Gunther

Check back with your insurance. Does it actually have to be a 9A? Nationair provided me with a policy that only required transition time in an RV-7, no -9 time required. Did that with Mike Seager and, according to him, the only difference in flying the two is that the -9 reference speeds would be 10mph less than those of the -7. Pretty simple. Additionally, you're more likely to find a CFI willing to fly in their plane rather than in an unknown and/or new-to-you plane. Good luck and have fun with your new plane!

Last edited:
Ditto what Steve said.

At first my insurance company wanted me to get 3 hours in an RV-9. With only a handful of them flying, that wasn't going to happen. After talking it over, the agreed to 3 hours in any side-by-side taildragger RV. Oh, and my time didn't have to be with a CFI.

Are You Looking to Get the 5 Hours in Your 9A?

I can't use my 9A for training as I don't have a LODA. If you're thinking of flying the one you're buying, that could work. Let me know if I can help- it's a short flight from PTK to Indy. My flight training is pretty much limited to weekends.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

RE: CFI for 9A

Thanks all for the replies. VAF is truly an amazing resource! Terry I'll send you an email or pm. This could work. I'm based at GEZ (Shelbyville, IN). I'm still arranging to get the A/C ferried from CA so it could be a week or more before I actually get it.
As far as frustrating insurance regs - I actually have 31hrs in a 6A and they know it and still want the transition training!
Gunther

My broker just said "Aerospace". They are the cheapest so far. Global had similar requirements. She is currently checking others. I don't think most know or care about the differences between a 6A and a 9A. They just see a different model number and go from there. I haven't helped my cause by only flying 2.8hrs in the last 12 months......
GZ

Gunther, you should not have to jump through all of those hoops. I have been using Global insurance since my first flight in Sept 09. I hadn't flown during the 8.5 year build time. My requirement was to log a minimm of 5 hrs with a CFI in an RV. I flew with Jan Bussel in Florida and flew his 6A. After completition of Jan's course I was covered from the first flight of my 9A. A 6A or a 7A should be sufficient for equivalent flight training. Have you broker push the issue or call them yourself. I would bet it works out well for you.

Steve
RV9A 250+ hours of fun!

My broker received a quote from a different company and seems I've gone from one extreme to the other! I don't remember the company's name (was so thrilled with the transition training reqmts I guess I just wasn't paying attn).
So now I have no minimum transition time and the CFI doesn't have to have any RV time (just a "checkout" until CFI is satisfied). I can also use a non CFI private pilot (but must be approved by them). Maybe this company acknowledges the 6A time but want's me getting current with a little "supervision". That's fine with me. I have several friends who are CFIs and they all want rides. I'll probably end up with 10 hours of "transition" time before it's all over with :)
Thanks all for all the valuable insight.
GZ

Back