What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice/pictures on where to put stuff on firewall

dwilson

Well Known Member
Hi all,
Building a 9A tip up and need help placing all the stuff on the firewall. I am using a dual battery, dual alternator, split bus.

Any advice or pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Duane Wilson

Duane,

If you don't have them already, order the FWF plans. This will tell you where to install most items. The only thing I see unusual is the dual battery setup but you could mount one battery on each side of the firewall. There is plenty of room on the other side for a 2nd battery. The only probally I see with that is the oil cooler maybe dumping hot air on to the battery itself. You may want to rig some sort of exit air ramp to direct air away from the 2nd battery.

Ground lug location

Thanks for the coment. I will install one battery on each side.

I am not sure where to put the ground lug/bolt. I don't see the prefered location on the FWF plans and since I am planning to use Bob Nuckolls advice for single grounding point I am not exactly sure where that single point should be.

Thanks,

Duane

Most people mount the ground block on the firewall somewhere near the battery. With two batteries, I'm not sure exactly where this might be for you. Here is where I put mine:

Photo of ground connection

On the other side of this is a 24-tab ground block from B&C. I highly recommend going to a 48-tab or (2) 24's, ESPECIALLY if you home run all the grounds as I did.

Once you have an electrical system designed on paper, take it out to the plane and start thinking about how you are going to run wires. Keeping in mind where you'll mount the fuse blocks, ground tabs, etc.

Back