What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a Special step for my RV-7A

C-J

Does anyone know who makes the steps for Vans RV 7A, I'm a left leg amputee and need to have one made up where the step itself is 2-3 inches wider. Thanks CJ

Does anyone know who makes the steps for Vans RV 7A, I'm a left leg amputee and need to have one made up where the step itself is 2-3 inches wider. Thanks CJ

Hi Carl,

Seth here in Texas (Georgetown) has made steps for different experimental aircraft. Do you have a design?

See a welder

I have a friend here that does welding and is quite talented. He is now retired and does mostly art piece now. He used to work on submarines for the Navy. If you find a talented welder in you town they should be able to modify the stock step for your needs.

Cheers

Step

I just either need to modify the standard RV 7A step, making it wider(stepwidth) or buy one with a wider step. This is so I can step up with my good leg and bring up the prosthetic leg, put my wieght on the prosthetic leg and step on to the wing. This sounds more complicated than it is. I don't have a knee so I need to use the good side to do the work, kinda like the Humpback of Notre Dam. ;-)

I don't have faith in my welding, and want a good job. If I cut off the step and weld on a new one, I have an aligment issue, unless I make a jig. Sooo, I thought I would just find the manufacturer and have him make one with a wider step. If your guy can do this, I have the original step and a piece of streamlined tubing long enough to do the job, just no TIG welder. CJ

I just either need to modify the standard RV 7A step, making it wider(stepwidth) or buy one with a wider step. This is so I can step up with my good leg and bring up the prosthetic leg, put my wieght on the prosthetic leg and step on to the wing. This sounds more complicated than it is. I don't have a knee so I need to use the good side to do the work, kinda like the Humpback of Notre Dam. ;-)

I don't have faith in my welding, and want a good job. If I cut off the step and weld on a new one, I have an aligment issue, unless I make a jig. Sooo, I thought I would just find the manufacturer and have him make one with a wider step. If your guy can do this, I have the original step and a piece of streamlined tubing long enough to do the job, just no TIG welder. CJ

Looks like Russ is on the thread, drop him a line.

One or two?????

Russ is going to modify my step for me, I'm all set, thanks all. CJ

You might want him to do two so that you don't have asymmetric drag.

Just something to think about.

Now that I think more about it, maybe that is not needed. If there is someone out there with ONE step they should be able to comment. I seem to recall seeing that somewhere.

James

Step

Yep, thanks-I don't think a few extra inches on the left side will matter, I will have a standard one of the right side. The step is in the mail to Russ and he said he would "get er done" next week. Thanks all. CJ

Back