What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a smooth sliding canopy

Dugaru

Well Known Member
A recent attack of tennis/golfer/old dude/whatever elbow has put a real premium on making my RV-9A’s sliding canopy, which includes the Supertracks extension, easy to open & close.

What should I clean/lube the thing with? Any particular tips or tricks?

I thank you, and my right arm thanks you. 🤣

Not direclty answering your question, but most canopy issues are caused by misalignment and/or poor construction. A properly made and installed canopy should be “smooth as silk” without any lubrication. I can’t speak for what additional issues the super tracks may induce.
You might check to see if you can make any adjustments first.

A hard to move sliding canopy is usually caused by the width of the frame at the rollers, not matching the width of the tracks.
You could remove the screw on one side and pop the frame off the roller bracket and see how much the width is off.
The most most common is that the frame is too wide, and is pushing the rollers outward onto the tracks.
I have adjusted the width of a canopy frame with a canopy already attached but it is a little scary. Should only be done when the canopy is very warm.

For my slider w/Supertraxx, I squirt some white lithium grease on the rails/rollers and along the top rail when it gets a bit tough to move. Makes a huge difference.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.11.29 PM.png

After 26-years of use, my sliding canopy is smooth most of the time. IF it is not smooth, I typically need to clean the track and then it is smooth.

I typically just keep the tracks clean. How do I clean the tracks? My method is to take WD-40, spray it on a paper towel, and wipe the inside of the rail out as best I can. Once both sides are done, I will also wipe the track back the center tail cone of the aircraft off. I then take a clean dry paper towel and wipe the tracks out again. I am not trying to use WD-40 as a lube but as a cleaner. I have found WD-40 to be a poor lubrication but a pretty good cleaner.

I clean the tracks (rollers too if they have grease or grime on them) with whatever is handy, and then lubricate the rollers at their axle with TRI-FLOW SUPERIOR DRY LUBRICANT in the drip bottle. After that, I lubricate the spine track with paste wax.

A hard to move sliding canopy is usually caused by the width of the frame at the rollers, not matching the width of the tracks.
You could remove the screw on one side and pop the frame off the roller bracket and see how much the width is off.
The most most common is that the frame is too wide, and is pushing the rollers outward onto the tracks.
I have adjusted the width of a canopy frame with a canopy already attached but it is a little scary. Should only be done when the canopy is very warm.
How far do you have to pull the frame together with the glass installed to get it to bend about 1/2”? Can you elaborate on the process you used?

I rub the top of spine track with Boe lube as it is non greasy and helps the guide slide smoothly. Then squirt a very small amount of silicone lubricant on the side track rollers. After doing this, my slider will open itself when in taxi if its not latched.

How far do you have to pull the frame together with the glass installed to get it to bend about 1/2”? Can you elaborate on the process you used?
I sort of feel that posting info like this is similar to giving someone written instructions how to play the violin... I don't know how to play the violin, but my daughter does (very well actually) so I know that there are a lot of things to know that just come from experience and practice.

But, I will give it a shot (be sure to read my disclaimer in my signature).
If someone chooses to try this they should carefully weight the risk versus reward.

Also consider the fact that the level of care that was taken drilling and final finishing holes and edges of the canopy while it was being installed can also have an influence on how risky doing this is.

Bottom line - There is a risk of cracking the canopy doing this but I have adjusted 3 different sliding canopies without inducing any cracks.

First figure out how much too wide the canopy frame is by removing one side from the roller bracket and let it spring out to where it wants to be and then measure the displacement from the roller bracket.

Reinstall the frame in the roller bracket and with the canopy fully closed, try and determine if the canopy is lower at the top just fwd of the latch handle than would be ideal (look at how it is fitting relative to the molded fiberglass or formed metal fairing that the canopy slides under). What you are trying to determine here is if the canopy has been pushed down excessively at some point, inducing a bend at the top center. If this has occurred, it will cause the canopy to get wider down below at the roller brackets.
If you are the original builder/owner and you know that the canopy has always been dragging because it is too wide, you can skip this step, but if the top center is too low, this is the area where you will be focusing on first, when adjusting the width.

If the top of the canopy is at the correct height, then the bending adjustment needs to be focused in the area of the tightest bend radius of the front bow (about the 10:30 and 1:30 points on the frame if viewed looking forward from the center of the cockpit. Adding a small amount of additional bend at these two points will cause the bottom ends of the front frame bow to translate inboard on both sides without changing the overall shape an appreciable amount.

The sketches on the second page of this document might help with understanding the concept. The text may be helpful in developing a strategy for applying the bend force where needed.

Bending-
Only do this when the canopy has been normalized to an ambient environment temp of at least 75 degrees, but the warmer the better (don't try and warm the canopy when conditions are colder)
Start by writing down the measured width of the frame before you start. Subtract the amount you determined it was oversized so that you have a specific dimension to shoot for.
Put some soft blankets / towels on the floor.

If bend is needed in the top center of the frame you need to first remove the latch handle.
Then put the canopy upside down with a padded wood block on the floor under the front bow, about 12" to each side of the canopy center (where the latch handle was). You will need a helper to lift the back of the canopy a bit so that the blocks are laying flush on the face of the canopy at the location of the bow, and not pressing on just the canopy aft of the bow.
Pull inboard on bottom ends of the front frame bow, while applying pressure with your foot (wear a soft soled shoe) downward on the center area of the frame bow. Some short wood dowels or pieces of tubing that fit inside the frame tubes closely, can be inserted to give you a bit more leverage. The force required is pretty high, and there is a lot of spring back, so you need to go beyond where you want it to end up.
It is best to make many tries and measure after each, increasing the force each time until you start to see a dimension change. Then you will have more of an idea of what level of force is required (part of the process of learning the violin ;)). Move your foot around a bit with each attempt so that you are not always focusing the force on just one spot.

If you have determined that the bend adjustments are needed at the tight radius bends, the basic process is the same (measure, check, etc.) but inducing the bending force is a bit more difficult because of awkwardness and the need to keep the bend focused in a narrow area.
Have your helper position the canopy upside down with the aft end once again lifted and the canopy rolled about 45 degrees to one side so that the mid point of the tight radius bend of the front bow is tangent with the floor. Make sure your helper is holding the canopy up properly in the back so the primary contact point to the floor is right at the edge under the frame bow. Pin that point to the floor with your foot and with both hands pull the end of the bow and the point where the latch handle would be, towards each other.
Once again, it takes a lot of force, but I am not a huge muscle bound guy and I am able to do it. The important thing is to slooowly work your way up to the point that a change starts to occur (keep checking with the tape measure).

You may also have to do adjustment at the top and the side bends depending on your situation (canopy on and off the airplane a few times for fit checks may be a good idea). I.E., if the height of your canopy appears low, don't assume that you can entirely correct the width by only making an adjustment at the top until the width is correct. You may then have a canopy that is too tall in the center.

I just bent my canopy hoop last week. The previous builder did not do a good job and the sliding action was quite stiff. I needed a full travel pull when it was open to get the force needed to close and latch the canopy. When I pulled the ends out of the rollers, the bow sprang open almost 3/4". I bent mine in place by using a good ratchet strap. Placed the hooked ends of the strap, pulled it tight, then used the ratchet to pull it together. I measured as I tightened and removed the strap every inch. I finally got the hoop to give and bend at the 6" mark. It really sprang when I released the tension at the 6" mark, but it gave to what I needed, and I now have a smooth rolling canopy. The previous builder used rivets for the transparency installation but I will reinstall using SikaFlex.

+1 for the paste wax. My canopy grew more than was predicted when I attached the frame to the canopy. It was pretty stiff and noisy to slide back and forth. I use paste was on the inside of the tracks about once a year. the wheels rub on the inside of the track but overall the motion takes very little effort and is fairly quiet now. I would try that before you try bending anything. Not perfect but no risk of a cracked canopy.

+1 for the paste wax. My canopy grew more than was predicted when I attached the frame to the canopy. It was pretty stiff and noisy to slide back and forth. I use paste was on the inside of the tracks about once a year. the wheels rub on the inside of the track but overall the motion takes very little effort and is fairly quiet now. I would try that before you try bending anything. Not perfect but no risk of a cracked canopy. Or
Sounds like a better option for sure.
This is a good reminder that when fixing the plexiglass to the frame it should sit in contact without having to be forced. Where it doesn’t sit in contact, spacers, I used nylon washers, should be used to “built up” and fill the gap.
The frame shouldn’t grow. Things happen though and I would try anything before messing with bending a finished canopy. That would be a last resort for me for sure. I don’t have Scott’s skills!

I should add, you won’t see the spacers under the canopy skirts unless you look hard.

I removed the tracks, polished up the area where the wheels track, cleaned them and had a type III hard coat anodize done with Teflon finish. Tweaked the wheels to make sure they were tracking well, and things were much better.

Sounds like a better option for sure.
This is a good reminder that when fixing the plexiglass to the frame it should sit in contact without having to be forced. Where it doesn’t sit in contact, spacers, I used nylon washers, should be used to “built up” and fill the gap.
The frame shouldn’t grow. Things happen though and I would try anything before messing with bending a finished canopy. That would be a last resort for me for sure. I don’t have Scott’s skills!

I should add, you won’t see the spacers under the canopy skirts unless you look hard.
Actually an important detail is to carefully follow the instructions in the build manual.
It mentions that with the way the canopy fits the frame, it will cause the frame to spread when it is fastened. Because of this it is very important that the frame be adjusted during fitting so that it is about 1/2 narrower than than the ideal fit to the tracks. This can be checked after the canopy is drilled and clecoed to the frame. If the frame is spreading too much, adjust the width as needed.

I just bent my canopy hoop last week. The previous builder did not do a good job and the sliding action was quite stiff. I needed a full travel pull when it was open to get the force needed to close and latch the canopy. When I pulled the ends out of the rollers, the bow sprang open almost 3/4". I bent mine in place by using a good ratchet strap. Placed the hooked ends of the strap, pulled it tight, then used the ratchet to pull it together. I measured as I tightened and removed the strap every inch. I finally got the hoop to give and bend at the 6" mark. It really sprang when I released the tension at the 6" mark, but it gave to what I needed, and I now have a smooth rolling canopy. The previous builder used rivets for the transparency installation but I will reinstall using SikaFlex.
Dave- did you do this with the plexi installed or did you remove it first?

Last edited:
Back