What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a new float-type fuel sender

Jamie

Well Known Member
I need standard float fuel sender for my -7A's right tank (dorked mine up removing it to repair a tank leak). I ordered one from Van's, but as you know they can be slow processing orders, and then the sender has to traverse the country...then I'll have to wait for pro-seal to dry. I don't think my mental state can survive that long without committing aviation.

So does anyone....

a) know if Aircraft Spruce carries the sender and if so, what's the part # or
b) If any builder near Atlanta has one and can give me theirs and I'll give them the replacement when it arrives.

Yes, Spruce has them. I just got 2 yesterday and installed them in the 10. They have them under the ISS sender parts, one for left hand and one for right hand tanks. They are the exact Stewart Warner senders. Let me know if you need more info, but a call to them is all it should take.
Don't pro seal them on. Just use the rubber gasket. never had them leak.

Vic

Thanks Vic. I was going to use the rubber gasket and Pro-seal only the attachment screws. You don't use it there either?

It is a standard Stewart Warner part...

... and a pretty common one. You might even be able to find one locally at your auto or truck parts store.
Throw the gaskets away and proseal only.

Aircraft Spruce (and SW) lists four different types right-handed senders:

ISS FUEL SENDER RH 6-12 TANK
ISS FUEL SENDER RH 10-15 TANK
ISS FUEL TANK RH 15.5-24
ISS FUEL SENDER RH 27-36" TANK

Looking at the SW web site it appears that the one I need is 6-12 (mine has 385C stamped on it).

Note: A moderator may want to move this from the Test/Misc section to somewhere else so this gets saved for the archives.
[Good idea......moved; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Vic, no proseal. However I also do not like the rubber seal. I have a sheet of cork and use the rubber seals as a template to make cork seals and use fuel lube on the seal and screws.

Pat

Just to update this thread, I have received the 6-12 sender from Spruce and indeed this is the correct sender.

My original senders never leaked with just the rubber gasket for over 350 hrs. My question was whether or not to dab proseal on the screws. I did this during the original build but I've been told it's not needed.

Back