What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Necessary to remove aluminum factory markings?

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I'm prepping the aluminum parts for paint. Is it necessary or desireable to remove the factory markings from the aluminum? In other words, will those markings show through the primer and paint? If they need to be removed, is there a solvent that will work for that purpose?

high percentage alcohol and sem solvent both removed teh writing for me. There was one report of the printing causing some corrosion (i think it might have been under the protective vinyl for a long time). if you are going to paint i think most of your primer prep should remove it.

I'm prepping the aluminum parts for paint. Is it necessary or desireable to remove the factory markings from the aluminum? In other words, will those markings show through the primer and paint? If they need to be removed, is there a solvent that will work for that purpose?

I think you're talking about the blue or red ink on the sheet parts. A quick wipe of MEK will do the trick. I would say, YES it is desireable to remove it. Although we see a lot of RVs flying around without that little bit of effort taken. I don't agree with not simply wiping off the blue ink, unless all you really want is a spam can. There I said it.

Just water

The blue markings on my parts wipes right off with water. When I alumiprep them I usually spray them off with water first and the marks are pretty much all gone after that.

Bill Finnell
RV-8 Wings
Tucson AZ

Back