What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navaid to Trio -- 430 GPS setting?

gnuse

Well Known Member
When I purchased my RV8 it had a Navaid autopilot installed. I never used it. I had the chance to purchase a Trio autopilot head from a fellow VAFer. I purchased the harness from Trio to connect to the Navaid plug. So now I don't know if it ever worked, but I have to assume it did.

About the same time, my 430 display started failing and I had a local avionics dealer at PDK send it back to Garmin for repair. They told me they would save the setup so they could restore the 430 configuration as they had received it. Upon receipt, they told me they forgot to save the setup and that it probably wasn't important.

I am now wondering if that might be the reason my Trio shows "No GPS" on the screen.

Any help with how to determine the 430's current settings and what they should be is appreciated.

George

George,
You will need to know what port the 430 is wired to the trio on. The 430 has several serial out ports that must be configured to output the correct serial signal.
Holding the enter key when powering on the 430 gets you into the config settings. Poke around in there. You could change it in flight and see if the Trio wakes up and gets smart and you will know which port its wired to.

Even with no signal from the 430, the trio should lock up on the servo on the ground and let you know at least the servo is wired to the trio correctly. The trio manual tell you exactly how to adjust it on the ground for propr travel direction and nuetral setting. Trio manuals on their web site.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

If you would send my test pilot, avionics expert back, we could get some stuff done down here. ;)

The Trio wakes up when the servo button is selected.

I'm just hoping you have taught Jerry enough to make his stay worthwhile.

George

Last edited:
call chuck!

George,
I just had my trio board updated to the latest software at Trio. Afterward it took about 3 minutes to get rid of the "no gps" from my 430 to Trio. Probably not same issue but might give it a few minutes.

If you still have problems, call Chuck at Trio. I cant speak highly enough for the guy. Really great guy and very patient, even with newbies.

Dan

When I purchased my RV8 it had a Navaid autopilot installed. I never used it. I had the chance to purchase a Trio autopilot head from a fellow VAFer. I purchased the harness from Trio to connect to the Navaid plug.

So, I have a question.

I have a Navaid AP-1 in my 6A. It works beautifully. Can I purchase a Trio Control Head and a harness from Trio to adapt to the Navaid connector and upgrade my auto pilot? Is it really that easy? I'm running a GX-65 GPS. When I say upgrade I'm not really sure what I mean by that as I dont know how the Trio is better than the existing Navaid. What can I expect to see..anything like GPSS sterring or alt hold options.

Tango

With Trio head and the adapter cable in hand, I think it might have taken 15 minutes to install. Really.

George,
I just had my trio board updated to the latest software at Trio. Afterward it took about 3 minutes to get rid of the "no gps" from my 430 to Trio. Probably not same issue but might give it a few minutes.

If you still have problems, call Chuck at Trio. I cant speak highly enough for the guy. Really great guy and very patient, even with newbies.

Dan
My unit has the latest software I believe. What did you do in those 3 minutes to get rid of the "no gps"?

So, I have a question.

I have a Navaid AP-1 in my 6A. It works beautifully. Can I purchase a Trio Control Head and a harness from Trio to adapt to the Navaid connector and upgrade my auto pilot? Is it really that easy? I'm running a GX-65 GPS. When I say upgrade I'm not really sure what I mean by that as I dont know how the Trio is better than the existing Navaid. What can I expect to see..anything like GPSS sterring or alt hold options.

Tango

Yes its simply the cable and new trio head. Literally a few minutes swap out.
The Trio is much better than the Navaid. While the Navaid works fine, it is a mechanical gyro that will fail and there is no service available. There are several features that the trio can do for you that you will find listed in the feature set of the heads on their web page.

So, I have a question.

Tango

The direct upgrade for the Navaid is the Trio EZ-Pilot. Here are some details from my upgrade several years ago:

http://thervjournal.com/EZ_Pilot.htm

If you have a Navaid that "works beautifully" then you might want to continue to fly it. But if it starts getting cranky, the EZ-pilot is a great upgrade that is far more advanced and easier to use than the Navaid.

The direct upgrade for the Navaid is the Trio EZ-Pilot. Here are some details from my upgrade several years ago:

http://thervjournal.com/EZ_Pilot.htm

Wow. Great pick. Let me tell ya why. That instrument just to the right of your AP. I have one of those in my new 6A. I have no clue as to what it is or how to operate it. I dont have a manual or anything. Can you help me? What is it? and how do I use it with whatever? Do you have a manual or access to one or a link that I can go to to print it or that shows how to use it. What is it called?

Tango

Nothing really

George,
I have the Trio EZ autopilot with version 1.5 board. (This is my version number, not Trio, after talking with Chuck about the evolution of the EZ board. My board was an intermediate between first generation and latest) Why is this important you ask? Because Trio updated my software to the newest board set vice generation 1 and when I saw the "no gps" advisory I thought the board did not take the software update. I cycled power but warning was still there. So i just left the servo engaged and flew straight and level. It took probably 3 minutes maybe less, but definitely no more than 3 and the Trio began to interact and work properly.

Tango, if you do elect to upgrade to the EZ from Trio, you will not be disappointed. Not in the product and certainly not the Trio customer service.

Dan

RMI RIP...the end of an era! Many people enjoyed and some continue to enjoy their products.

From their website:

"RMI CLOSING BUSINESS! A number of years ago, RMI announced cessation of sales of our microMonitor and microEncoder. We now announce that as of 12/31/2011, we will cease all business operations. Sales of all of our remaining services have already essentially halted, so expenses of the business are no longer acceptable.

As I am going into full retirement, phone service, credit card sales, and upgrade products will be discontinued. I WILL, however, attempt to help you loyal customers that have technical or service questions about our products... by EMAIL ([email protected]).

The rkymtn.com website will remain on line, and I will continue to add information so you can access manuals and continue to find sources of sensors and other parts that might need replacing.

Thanks for all your support over the years...."

RMI RIP...the end of an era! Many people enjoyed and some continue to enjoy their products.

From their website:

"RMI CLOSING BUSINESS! A number of years ago, RMI announced cessation of sales of our microMonitor and microEncoder. We now announce that as of 12/31/2011, we will cease all business operations. Sales of all of our remaining services have already essentially halted, so expenses of the business are no longer acceptable.

As I am going into full retirement, phone service, credit card sales, and upgrade products will be discontinued. I WILL, however, attempt to help you loyal customers that have technical or service questions about our products... by EMAIL ([email protected]).

The rkymtn.com website will remain on line, and I will continue to add information so you can access manuals and continue to find sources of sensors and other parts that might need replacing.

Thanks for all your support over the years...."

Hate to see Rocky Mtn. go but it isn't unexpected. I still fly the uMonitor in my RV-6.

New builders can't appreciate how radical the RMI devices were back in the mid-90's. My new RV-6 (1999) had only the uEncoder and UMonitor in the panel, no round instruments except for a small airspeed indicator and G-meter. It was the first plane my DAR had seen with an all electronic panel. After he asked how I marked the redline for the instruments, be was satisfied when I explained how the functions had alarms. Watching the puzzled looks the panel got at breakfasts was worth the gas money. :D

State of the RV art in 1999:

finsh107.jpg

I'm feeling old...........

Last edited:
Still working on this.

Even though my Trio a/p display once flew Sam Buchanan around, it isn't working as expected. I bet Sam thinks it is out of warranty.

With inspiration from this group and amazing support from Jerry and Chuck at Trio, I believe I am zeroing in on the problem.

1. My airplane doesn't seem to have the wire that goes from pin #56 on the 430 to pin #8 on the Trio EZ a/p. So, there is no flow of data. That answers that question.

2. The 430 was unfortunately reset to factory defaults by the FBO/avionic shop at PDK that said they would not let that happen. I am still trying to recover from their efforts.

3. I was finally able to get RS232 config in the 430 set to what Trio wants. In the "Main RS232 Config" page, I got the Output on Chnl 1 to read: Avtn no alt.

4. Now all I have to do is install that wire mentioned in 1. above and go fly :eek: I'm guessing it will work properly.

gnuse, when I installed my EZ Pilot, I had to add the wire from the GNS 430. I believe that I was able to use a voltmeter on the wire from the 430 to verify that there was a signal before I connected the wire to the autopilot.

trio to 430

Still working on this.

Even though my Trio a/p display once flew Sam Buchanan around, it isn't working as expected. I bet Sam thinks it is out of warranty.

With inspiration from this group and amazing support from Jerry and Chuck at Trio, I believe I am zeroing in on the problem.

1. My airplane doesn't seem to have the wire that goes from pin #56 on the 430 to pin #8 on the Trio EZ a/p. So, there is no flow of data. That answers that question.

2. The 430 was unfortunately reset to factory defaults by the FBO/avionic shop at PDK that said they would not let that happen. I am still trying to recover from their efforts.

3. I was finally able to get RS232 config in the 430 set to what Trio wants. In the "Main RS232 Config" page, I got the Output on Chnl 1 to read: Avtn no alt.

4. Now all I have to do is install that wire mentioned in 1. above and go fly :eek: I'm guessing it will work properly.
George,
If your trio autopilot ever worked with your 430 then there HAD to be a wire running between the two units. There is nothing that says it had to be RS232 channel 1 though. It could be connected to one of the other RS232 channel outputs. My suggestion, before you start running new wires would be to do this:

Set the OUTPUT side of all RS232 Channels on the 430 to the settings suggested by Trio.

Verify that the Trio is configured and set properly to receive a signal from the 430.

Test the unit. Like has been mentioned before, it could take 3 or 4 minutes for the 430 to lock up the first time. Once the 430 shows an accurate position on the map screen, then the Trio should also show that it is receiving data.

If it appears to be working, then go back into the RS232 settings on the 430 and turn off the output on each channel one at a time, testing each time. This will tell you which RS232 output port is actually connected.

As a side note, I have never sent a 430 in for service or upgrade that came back with the setting restored. It is too late for you but perhaps others can benefit from the knowledge that Garmin does it that way and remember to write down their settings. I just pulled a 430 out of a Falco for upgrade to 430W and spent quite a bit of time writing down all of the settings so that we can put it back when the unit is returned.

What a journey. New airplane, new autopilot.

As it turned out, there apparently was not a wire installed between the Garmin 430 pin 56 and the EZPilot adapter molex pin 8.

Chuck at Trio was amazing. He supplied me with the proper wire with the connectors and explicit instructions.

I was very disappointed today when I got it all connected and still had a "No GPS" showing on the EZPilot display. Chuck again helped out and we tried setting the 430 differently. I had been instructed by Chuck and others to set the serial output on the 430 to "Aviation - No Alt". When we talked today, we discussed our experiences with technical help at Garmin :mad: and we decided to try just "Aviation". Connected everything back up, the 430 locked on the GPS signals, and within 10 seconds the EZPilot screen showed: "No Flt Pln". That was great news, way better than "No GPS". I added a direct to KGVL and up popped the solution and ETE. I post this with the hope that it will help someone else not have to go through all of this.

I really do appreciate the help I received in solving this. So, Jerry landed with a thumbs up with his glideslope antenna problem solved and within minutes I was able to give him a thumbs up from my plane.

Last edited:
Back