What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navaid Autopilot to Trio EZ Pilot

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Installed in my RV-4 I have a Navaid autopilot. For the most part, I am happy with it. I have it connected to my panel mount GPS ( KLX 135a ). It is an older unit and only has analog L/R outputs (no NMEA). I also have a Narco Nav 122 wich I have on a nav/gps switch so that my Navaid will also follow either the gps or a localizer/VOR radial. It Actually follows the localizer beam really really well. The locilizer capability is the least used but most coveted in case I have to actually have to fly an approach to landing.

I have a Trio EZ autopilot (LCD version) that I was going to install in its place. From what I understand, I cannot have the same type of set up with my GPS and my narco nav 122. The EZ pilot only accepts digital data (no analog L/R stuff). Is this true?

I'm at a standstill. New autopilot, means new GPS and no locilizer.

Anything I am missing or not understanding? Anybody know of a work a round?

Thanks!

X

All of the newer inexpensive autopilots - Trio or TT - accept only digital data. They are expecting a gps. They will work with inexpensive portable gps's, but of course these are not certified for IFR use. Most EFIS boxes will convert the analog signals or the ARINC signals from a VOR or ILS into a digital format that the autopilots can read.
Not the low cost solution you were looking for...

Plenty of cheap used GPS units out there that will drive your autopilot. I use a Ifly 740 to drive my Trio PP and it's great. Geo referenced on approach chart, and complete information at a touch. Cheap fix!

Plenty of cheap used GPS units out there that will drive your autopilot. I use a Ifly 740 to drive my Trio PP and it's great. Geo referenced on approach chart, and complete information at a touch. Cheap fix!

The iFly and Trio are a great combination....but not legal for IFR ops.

Back