What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav antenna belly mounted?

apkp777

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted their NAV antenna on the belly and if so, any pointers for my installation? Any problems with VOR/LOC/GS reception?

Nav antenna

Nav (as in VOR/ILS) is a horizontal polarity signal, which means the antenna leads need to be parallel with Earth. Not exactly suitable for belly mounting since the leads would stick out beyond the sides of the fuse. The only "safe" spot would be under the fuse with the wings. Swirling high velocity prop wash might make them vibrate a lot.......

I'm thinking there is a history/reason they've always been mounted at the top of vert stabs.

Lots of people mount them under the tail cone in the back. They look and work fine there.

Works just fine under the horizontal stab (that's where it is on Louise's RV-6), and I don't think I'd want a top-mounted one on an RV taildragger - too many people with eyes at JUST the wrong height....

Paul

Yeah, I like my eyes and being 6'2 puts the tips right at eye level. As always, all your input is much appreciated.

Tony,

I have read that putting the nav antennas in the wing tips works well but have no experience with them as I only have a lowly 496 in my RV.

You might want to do a search on that. I have heard the com antennas do not work well in that location. Again, do a search to verify.

Bill,

I looked at the Archer wing tip option. Seems there are mixed reviews. I plan on using my SL30 for IFR enroute and approach, so I need to have solid reception. At this point I think back by the tail wheel bottom side is going to do the trick. I will have to fab a wedge mount adapter to get a good horizontal mount. Glad to hear yours is getting back together. Us -9 guys have to stick together. The nosewheel cult is ever growing!

Tony,

I was thinking more about putting a regular com antenna on the bottom and going with just the nav antenna in the wing tip. Just remember, and I don't think I need to remind you, this is your plane and you are the one who is going to put their butt in it. Do the research and do what you feel comfortable with.

I too have seen the whiskers mounted under the HS, safe and tucked out of the way.

If you are installing a metal prop, there shouldn?t be a problem with the extra weight back there.

Back