What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav and strobe lights option

This question is incredibly broad considering all the products out there.

But FWIW, my next airplane will have simple 1156 type LED bulbs under clear lenses (about $9 bucks for each bulb), and "automotive" strobe power supplies and flash tubes. Whelen makes most of their money from emergency vehicle warning lights and these power supplies are about half the cost of the "aviation" versions... often with more options for lighting patterns and multiple outputs.

I installed the AeroLed NAV/strobe lights that Vans now sells and I really like them.

I've recieved several comments that my plane is very easy to see as I approach the airport.

They were lightweight (no ballasts required with LEDs) and easy to install.

Jason

I've looked at the commercial setups available for wingtip lights as well as tail anti-collision lights. Especially considering that my nav lights will be under sealed plexi covers, I think they're mostly overkill and priced accordingly.

I just ordered a few LED automotive lamps from a popular auction site. They will probably take a couple of weeks to arrive from China, but I won't need them for quite some time so it's not a big rush. I bought a red, a green and a big white one. Looking at the nav lights I've seen on certified aircraft, I find it tough to believe that anything bigger than a AAA pocket Mag-Lite would not be bright enough, so I'm not really worried about those. Seeing the monster 120-LED white lamp, though, got me thinking about whether it might not be bright enough for strobe duty. At under $10 I'm willing to splurge just to see what it looks like; if it's not bright enough I'll find some use for it.

I ordered bayonet base 1156 lamps, but the selection seems even better in wedge (3156/3157) bases. I was concerned about those falling out of the socket, but then again I've NEVER seen that happen in an automotive application.

I'll be experimenting with various LED nav/strobe light options while building, should be fun. I'll post results here and in my build log.

I suspect that this new crop of inexpensive LED's will be the death of the established aviation navigation light suppliers. I've seen the results of these bare 1156 type LEDs on an aircraft firsthand, and they are mighty impressive. I don't know if they provide the exact light output required by some TSO or regulation, but they are sure more visible to the human eyeball than most of the average aircraft plying the night skies. And until the time comes that a calibrated light meter is making "see and avoid" decisions, I think these inexpensive bulbs are going to be just fine.

Aveo is about to release a new wingtip solution for RV7/8/9

I think they are announcing at sun n fun

ZTron Labs...

Check out ZTron Labs as advertized here in VAF. Price is right and in my hanger, just as bright as my hanger partners legacy stuff.

CC

Back