What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Narco MK12D pulling 15 Amps?

RONSIM

Well Known Member
SOLVED:!! (but not understood) I started getting "High Amp" alarms on my Dynon EMS 120 when I used the "push-to-talk" on my Narco Nav/Comm. Thinking it was stray RF, or something, I started looking in that direction. This morning, I used a clamp-on DC Ammeter to measure current pulled from the battery by my various systems --- everything as expected until I did the "transmit" on the Nav/Comm --- measuring on the down-stream side of the circuit breaker, I was showing 12-16 Amps (5 Amp breaker did not trip on the momentary transmit) ---

The Nav/Comm receives and transmits normally ---- I am assuming I have something going on in the transmitter ---- any ideas?.

Solved this immediate issue by switching the Comm antenna coax out of the Narco to a Comm antenna I installed on the bottom of the airplane for my handheld radio. Connected with a length of RG58 and a coupler. Everything back to normal and Navcomm pulls about 3.5 - 4.0 Amps.

When I get a chance, I will try to track down the original coax/antenna issue and do some more "experimenting" and look into the 5 amp breaker issue!

I appreciate all the help I have received and some of the suggestions on wiring I intend to implement at the next chance.

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:
now you have two problems!

If you held down the PTT long enough to read the meter, the 5 amp CB should have tripped. So either the radio and the CB are both defective; or stray RF is fooling your meter and the Dynon; or there's a problem elsewhere. What else is controlled by the PTT? audio panel? receiver mute?

Bob -- thanks for the reply

I would have suspected RF on the meter, but I took similar readings on my strobes, pitot heat, GPS, TXP, lights, etc --- all of those readings were where I would expect ---- the breaker is 6 months new (switch type). Nothing else on the breaker.

And, I do think it weird breaker did not trip --- I will try another breaker.

Couple things here that catch my eye.

First off, any chance you missed a decimal point on the meter reading??

If not, then;

Second, if the 5a breaker is the correct one for the radio---------not only is the breaker bad, but something is causing the circuit to draw extra amps ------ if it is in fact pulling 12a

Fixing the breaker is only half of your problems, you need to find/fix the cause of the extra amp draw.

Couple big "if"s in there, but better to be sure ...............................

Mike -- thanks

Decimal points, and I, have always had issues ---- (slide rules as an Engineering student was the big one!) ------ but I did triple check that one. The breaker issue will be easily investigated --- I have another I can quickly (thank goodness for a Tip-up) substitute.

I am going to pull the Nav/Comm and check the tray and connectors -- I cannot believe the unit is pulling 15 amps and still working.

On my other amp checks, the Dynons showed about 3.5 amps, the strobes about 7 amps, the pitot heat about 6 amps, etc., so I think my meter is working OK --

R.

older transmitter current draw

Mike raised a good point, but it seems you are reading the correct digits. A clamp on meter might not be the best tool for DC in this circuit though.
The Narco is specified to draw 4.3 amps on a 13.5 volt aircraft.
My guess is you are really not pulling the current showing on the meter. To have a faulty radio and breaker that allowed the excess all occur at the same time would be rare.
I would clean up all the connections and then put a current meter inline... at the breaker terminal if that is handy. See what that shows.
Report back and then some more "experts" can jump in as well. Best of luck.

Good suggestions

I will be giving those a try-------

Thanks for the help, all --

Ron

Check OP --- Solved but not understood (yet)

Traveling to WV to ferry an -8A to FL ----- will try to figure out the "why and wherefore" of the antenna and breaker issue when I get back in town.

R.

Not the antenna?

Well, after switching to the bottom antenna, with a new section of RG58, and, finding everything worked as designed, I attached the new coax to the original antenna (Comant 121, in perfect (looking) condition). Same issue -- getting high amp readings on my meter and on the Dynon EMS120.

So, this led me to believe the antenna was bad, for whatever reason. At Sun n Fun, yesterday, I bought a new Comant 121. Today I removed the "old" antenna and installed the new antenna, ensuring a good ground plane interface. Using the new coax that worked well with the bottom antenna, I ran the same tests ------SAME RESULT! High amp readings on the meter and on the Dynon when transmitting. While I was at it, I did my clamp on meter on other aircraft circuits (GPS, TXP, lights, etc.) On all of them, I got an amp spike on the meter and the Dynon when transmitting with the navcomm.

I put the old antenna back on and relocated the coax back to the belly antenna.

I will continue to look at what is picking up the RF from the top antenna and giving me the screwy reading ----

REALLY solved

Thanks to some good advice and suggestions from the RV gang, I was put on the right track ----- yes, my (I thought expensive) meter, was being affected by the RF coming off the comm antenna, and would give me a 15 to 40 amp reading without being clamped on anything ------ and, Jake Jansen (aeroassist, aussie land) suggested I should make sure my Dynon EMS120 wiring was as short as possible and excess not looped or stowed.

Yesterday, I removed my access panels and trimmed unused wiring and rearranged the other wiring (to the EMS).

A test flight today showed everything working normally ----

Thankfully, I can now move on to other challenges, which may pop up.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ron

Back