What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA vent to cool tunnel

Jesse23

Well Known Member
Anyone put a NACA vent, say in the middle of the tunnel (under the belly) just before the fuel valve to get some cooling in the tunnel? I fly mostly in FL, and even when I need heat up north, turning the control 1/4 way is plenty. Could even use nut plates or nut serts to secure the vent and have a bottom access panel to look up in there.

Maybe it wouldn’t be enough to be effective. I don’t really know.

Anyone put a NACA vent, say in the middle of the tunnel (under the belly) just before the fuel valve to get some cooling in the tunnel? I fly mostly in FL, and even when I need heat up north, turning the control 1/4 way is plenty. Could even use nut plates or nut serts to secure the vent and have a bottom access panel to look up in there.

Maybe it wouldn’t be enough to be effective. I don’t really know.
I'm not super familiar with the -10 but that sounds like it might be a good way to pull exhaust (and therefore carbon monoxide) into the cabin...

I'm not super familiar with the -10 but that sounds like it might be a good way to pull exhaust (and therefore carbon monoxide) into the cabin...
This is a good point. I noticed some black soot on my transponder antenna which is mounted far aft and always thought that was "interesting". Thanks to a post by B Decker I looked at the rear tail cone and sure enough there was some black soot inside. Never enough to affect my CO monitor up front but definitely it had been sucking in black soot. Don't underestimate the negative suction an airframe can generate even with a tight fuselage seal.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-16 190841.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-07-16 190841.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
Back