What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA vent location?

N634JT

I am getting ready to make cuts for the rear NACA vents (Vans SV1) that will feed the Aerosport overhead console.

It seems that most have placed the vents forward, just behind the baggage bulkhead, in the panel just below the longeron. I am aware that there has been a fair amount of discussion about this placement, and it's proximity to the static ports. Everything I can find, indicates no problem.

Before I make "the cut", I am looking for feedback confirming no ill effects on the static system.

I also saw a reference to a paper template. Any idea where I can get one, or is this a DIY item?

Thanks,

M. Tippin

NACA

Trace out one of front cutouts on paper..laminate....cut out and you have a reusable template...as for placement, I went with Geoff Combs advice as he is the expert!

There is no "correct" location.

Most put them on the panel just below the longeron and center between the two vertical rows of rivets. Mine are a little forward than where Geoff located his. Since the naca vents usually produces more air than you need, I don't think location is critical. The reason I put mine a little more forward, was due to how I chose to route the scat tubing to the Aerosport Products naca vent and then on to the fittings on the bulkhead.

Agree - as long as it's facing the right direction and level, you are good to go. That first panel is a good spot and most use it.

Here is mine

Don't know if this is the "correct" location but it definitely works very well right there.
The Aerosport controller is also very helpful during colder times of the year.
No problem with the static ports either.

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

Last edited:
Mine are located immediately behind the baggage bulkhead as shown in Ernst's photos above. I am using the Safeair1 static ports, and I have no static error whatsoever.

Back