What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA inlet attachment method

AFulmer

Van's instructions for the NACA inlet attachment says use RTV or Proseal and that some builders have added a few pop rivets.

I like the Proseal/RTV idea without any rivets. Any builders flying with adhesive only? Works fine? How many hours flying? Do it again?

Thanks,

Proseal

I attached mine with proseal. No rivets. Finished in Nov 2000 and 730+ hours. No problem and would do it again.
Wes Hays
N844WB
Winters, TX

Proseal

Proseal takes paint. RTV doesn't.

One poster said he wished he hadn't stuck em in before the rudder pedals because of interference.

John

Just proseal. They've been in place well over 5 years. I've been flying 3.5 years and 185 hours. No problems. I will do the same on my friends -8QB.

Karl

Another adhesive that works very well is called Weld-On. I'm sure you would have pro-seal on hand rather than this stuff but just in case...

it's the same stuff Van's recommends to glue in the windows on the -10.

One thing I did was drilled and clecoe'd it to hold it while the glue was curing. But if I were to do it again, I'd probably just use some duct tape to hold it. That way you don't have to fill the holes in the skin.

I learned from an experienced builder, not to attach the NACA vents until after the forward turtledeck is riveted in place.

It's possible to reach in through the inlets to buck those pesky rivets that take a contortionist to buck from inside.

V

Rivets...

I made a thin alu. backing plate and then solid rivets. After attaching I used epoxy thicked with flux to seal and smoth the edges. I don't think that it will ever come off.

Kent

Back