What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N72NJ First Flight

Larry

First flight of RV-9A N72NJ (90394) was on 12thAug 06 at 9:40 PST at Tehachapi airport, Tehachapi Ca. Greg Nelson (USAF Flight Test Pilot) was the Test Pilot and Paul Rosales flew chase in his RV-6A. Flight lasted 33 minutes with no issues. Second flight later and hotter same day for 20 minutes ended due to high CHTs (450 deg F) and oil temperature (250 deg F). Need to break in engine and work baffling. No handling quality issues.

Construction started July 01, put on hold for medical reasons (kidney stones), than resumed Aug 03. Total time 1700 hours expended in 42 months. Ninety % completed in garage.

Aircraft configuration is day/night VFR with a 160 Hp XE O-320 from Penn Yam Aero, carburated, Sensenich Fix Pitch, Skyteck Starter, Lightspeed and Slick for ignition, Dynon EFIS and EMS, and Classic Aero interior.

Many thanks go to a lot of people, especially those at the Lockheed Skunk Works, EAA Chapter 49, AF Det 2 U2 Flight Test Pilots, and of most importance the family, particularly my bride, AKA Rosie the Riveter.

How do I get Pictures in this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good going! Enjoy & fly safe. Any pics would be greatly appreciated as I'm just into finish kit and need some inspiration.

Same day

Larry ,

Congratulations on your achievement of finishing and flying your creation. My RV9A also flew for the first time on the 12th. May we see each other some day. I am going to Van's homecoming, hopefully my time has been flown off.

Pete

Back