What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N523RV - Happy 1st Birthday (A year in review)

N523RV

Well Known Member
The journey officially began on July 12th, 2002 almost 4 1/2 years ago with the arrival of the tail kit. That 3 1/2 year journey came to it's end on February 1st, 2006 with the first flight of N523RV.

I have recently just passed the 1 year mark of flying and completing the first annual condition inspection. The 1 year anniversary of flying seems like another major milestone in life of building/owning an RV.

In the last year we flew 160 hours, landed at ~33 different airports. We traveled as far East as Franklin, NC to vist my sister. As far South as Texas to attend the 2006 Tex RV Flyin. As far West as Tuscon, AZ to attend LOE '06 and visit our old flight instructor and as far North as Minneapolis, MN for the wife to attend a scrapbooking retreat.

In addition to all of the great trips we made we also met a lot of fantastic people. We stayed with Mel & Ann Asbery while attending the Texas RV-Flyin. What a fantastic couple! While in Minneapolis, I did some flying with Doug Weiler in his RV-4 and also met Alex Peterson and Pete Howell. Of course I bumped into Doug Reeves at several of the flyins. Our trip to Oshkosh was a great one where we also met a bunch of RV'rs. I met probably a dozen other RV folks at various places around the country as well.

I officially flew 11 Young Eagles in 2006 with a few more unofficial as well. Gave rides to a lot of family members, friends and neighbors. Interestingly, I didn't have the opportunity to give any RV introductory rides, nor have I given too many of the local RV buddies rides, I think Matt Burch (former RV-9A, now building RV-7) is the exception to that.

For those of you still building or considering building, I can't begin to tell you the joy you'll get from flying an RV. As a machine it will take you places you probably have never been and probably too many places you have been but by a different route. You'll meet and make dozens more friends than you've already met in the building process. The flying and handling qualities of the RV have got to be one of the best. As they saying goes... keep pounding those rivets.... one day you'll be at the hangar/shop and realize you are done and have nothing left to do but fly, then begins a whole 'nother adventure.

See you in the skies!

Last edited:
Contrats!

Come on up to Crete, NE (KCEK) every 3rd Sat of the month for breakfast. Love to see the 9.

Happy Birthday N523RV. You'll have to wander up toward the NW some year, preferably in the summer.

Dave

Paint

N523RV said:
If I had a nickel every time someone asked me that it would be painted by now!

Argh!

Happy Birthday 523RV...! And Matt, paint will not make it fly any faster. ;-)

Back