What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N410BL moves to the airport (KLDZ)

rleffler

Well Known Member
My garage wasn’t long enough to mount the engine and put the landing gear on my RV-10, so I leased a hangar this month. This morning we moved everything to the KDLZ.

With a large group of friends, EAA’ers, and RV’ers the move happened without a hitch. We loaded the all the aircraft parts on the rental truck and everything else in Phil Newlon’s trailer. This enabled a single trip to the airport. We started loading at 8:00am and finished unloading by 10:45am.

The fuselage was loaded first.

FP03102010A0001P.jpg

Everything arrived safely at the airport.

FP03102010A0001Q.jpg

A successful move. Thanks to Dave Coventry, Janice Leffler, Ian Bergstrom, Brad Leffler, Ryan Kay, Tom Webster, John Blakely, Greg Schroeder, Rory, Ron Giesman, Mike Cencula, Brent Owens, Phil Newlon, Steve Carr, and Renee Leffler.

FP03102010A0001R.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great. Just think of all the flights you'll have to make to get all the helpers a ride when you get her done.
Ron

Congratulations Bob.

Now you'll just need some heat to get you through this winter. I moved all but the fuselage to PMH-Portsmouth two weeks ago.

You will get lots of help if you offer food.

Bob's wife, Janice served us a great breakfast
before we started. That was a tasty factor in
getting us going early in the day. Also, the
local college team (Buckeyes), had a noon
kickoff. I think the RV-10 was safely in the
hangar by 10:30.

I had a great time,
Tom

Now you'll just need some heat to get you through this winter. I moved all but the fuselage to PMH-Portsmouth two weeks ago.

Know any heating contractors? Just kidding..... I know that I'm going to have to find some type of portable solution. I can't use my electric heaters, since I only have two 20a circuits. I hope I can find an efficient propane heater that isn't too noisy.

I also need to rig some lighting. The two overhead bulbs just don't cut it.

Boy you had a ton of help!

Sure did! It makes things go easier and quicker. We've got a great group of EAA'ers and RV'ers that are always willing to help other builders.

bob

Last edited:
It's was a great excuse to get together and share a really cool benchmark in Bob's progress. Personally, it pumped me up to be a part of it.
Thanks Bob!

Get that thing up on the gear!!!

Looks great, Bob. Glad everything went well.

Phil

Great progress!

Bob started after me, but is already at the airport. Keep up the good work, Bob! It was great being part of this mini-milestone. Oh, and thanks to Janice for breakfast.

Bob, go for a propane-powered radiant heater.

I installed two, several years ago, in my hangar and they're totally quiet, self-igniting, 50,000 BTU units for around $800 each, brand new. I've since seen them on Ebay for as little as $100 used.

If you place your toolbox within their range, all your tools will also be warm, as well as the airplane skin. It makes working in the hangar in the winter so, so much easier....money well spent.

That said, there are clearance issues to consider, like being 36" below the ceiling and so on.

Here ya go:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Garage-MH40LP/dp/B0000AXF0I

Best,

Last edited:
Get that thing up on the gear!!!

Actually, I'm intentionally holding off until I get all the cabin cover work, doors, and wiring done. It's much easier just to work with out having to use a ladder.

My plan at the moment is to get as much fiberglass work knocked off before it gets too cold and then move on to tasks that don't care about the cold like the gear.

Looks like you have a nice tight hangar that may be insulated?

My friend at KMOR is lucky to have one of the new hangars and he uses one of these type heaters and his hangar is always toasty warm. (same style different brand)

1734_lg.jpg

He put a fan in the back blowing up to force the hot air down as well.

It is not noise free but it is not too bad. Better than freezing! He leaves the big door cracked to keep the air breathable.

I used infrared heaters since there was no chance of heating the space in my hanger. I had to move them to where I was working but they kept me moving all winter to get mine flying. One of em was perfectly quiet but the the other one was not. They worked on two different types of burners.

Back