What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N156PK aviates!

flion

Well Known Member
Today at 7:47am, with Brad Ransom at the controls, kit S/N 23264 fairly levitated into the air for its first flight. A slight heavy right wing was noted but no other squawks from the pilot; ground inspection looked very clean. Video is already up at the website. Thanks to all who encouraged me and answered questions. Gil, I guess I'm coming to you first. ;) Well, gotta go, got an RV to fly...:D

Wat to go Pat

My wife asked asked what the heck I was smiling so much at as I watched your video. As a fellow 6A builder I really feel your joy.:D Congratulations and be careful out there. Now the real fun begins!

Good to hear

The most popular RV of all time is still counting even though the company shut it down some time ago. Is it a short tail? Classic beauty.

Bob Axsom

Yep, it's the old style tail. I got started in '94; I think I recall that Van's had started shipping the thicker skins but the RV-7 wasn't in the works yet. By the time it came along, I had long since finished the tail; I wasn't going to switch then.

2nd flight

2nd flight report:
35 minute flight test for engine/system reliability and flap opps.
idle power no flaps 10 deg bank is 47 kts indicated
idle power indicated stall is 46 kts @ 20 deg flaps.
departure stall is indicated 45 kts @ 20 deg flaps.
stalls are straight and predictable in cordinated flight and anticipating an accurate Pitot/airspeed system. small oil leak squawk

Pat, you build a straight and powerfull 6A.
It's a real pleasure to fly :D

New term soon to be heard at Osh & airfields everywhere

Is it a short tail? Classic beauty.

Bob Axsom

Bob I just love your description of the early 6 so I stole it for my signature. :eek: Hope you don't mind. Maybe it will become a common aviation phrase. Like a clipped wing cub or D model 51. Sounds catchy doesn't it?
"Short Tail Six" ;)

In the excitement of announcing my RV-10 order, I forgot to post that, on the same day - 2/4/09, N156PK completed its Phase I testing. Fellow RV-6A builder/owner and test pilot, Brad Ransom, went up and performed G-pulls and aerobatics. That evening I flew to Cottonwood for fuel and returned after twilight and regained my night currency. Next step is to reinstall the wheel pants and test some more. Then, when it gets warmer, I can install the intersection fairings and think about paint. But in the meantime, Irish Airlines ("When you want to get there in the worst way, we're your airline!" :rolleyes:) has flown its first passenger, CFO Judith Kelley. How did she like it? Well, she's letting me build the -10, isn't she?

Back