What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N13KE

Nickster

Gentleman:
And each of you...
Stephen
Pierre
Pat
Robert
Jim
Brant
Starkey... where are you, neighbor ! ... actually, Mike is the first on this list to have seen this plane in my hangar... some weeks ago. I expect he has been wondering where the heck I have been as I joined this list and not posted anything in weeks since... so Mike and I were at the same Christmas party for Cameron (O61), but were too busy to chat RV stuff...

I am jazzed by the replies from you all and have already learned a lot and confirmed much of what I heard. It is clear that I have the great fortune to now have Brad's fine creation. You all have confirmed what my eye has observed... that of a special aircraft. I will treat her well and with respect.

So, on with some details...
Yes, Jim. I believe Brad built up a 320 with a front prop gov. The cowling that he and Rocky must have created together is a fine piece of craftsmanship. The intake is now ducted from the top of the engine and has a K&N filter fitted. His original engine was from a Warrior and I see he must have put some 500+ hours on that engine in this plane. In 84 he re-certified the plane as an A. I have that on the data plate and the AC. I scoped the inboard wing ribs and the doubler plates are there. I do believe it is an A.
Pat said that Brad put the engine and prop together, ground ran it and never flew it. Pat said he put the first 20 or so hours on that engine, flew it up to Dalleske twice. Once to show it and then to deliver it. Dalleske did some Formula 1 flying at Reno, in a Cassutt. Did not put much time on the 3... maybe some 50 or 60 hours in the 10 years he owned it.
Yes, I do believe the plane was not painted till Dalleske had that done in Salinas back in 95 or 96. It is now Orange and White.
Brad had a fuel delivery system that puzzled me. Line went from the selector, which I will change to a new unit, to the firewall, to the gascolator, to a T fitting ( that then provided a second feed to the carb ), to the electric pump, then to the mechanical pump then to the carb. The carb had two inlets. On my first engine run, that fitting failed out came fuel for a moment till I cut the engine. I have since abandoned that second fuel line. Capped off the T, removed the second line to the carb and now have one linear fuel line to the carb. Its temporary... I will install a flex line from the mechanical pump to the carb before I fly the plane. Unsure why the dual feed... maybe to prohibit vapor lock at altitude?
To get to the fuel selector to R&R, we had to remove the tank. We can now replace the fuel and brake lines.. good.
I plan on replacing the old EGT and CHT. Moving some things around like the start switch, and maybe install a D-10a that I have. Will see.

I will post this, and try to attach some pictures... but I am not an IT guy. So, if I can't get pix attached, will take up Brant's offer to send them to him and he will post.

Lastly, I am new here, and do not want to trip on my shoe laces. The plane I have been flying for years.. a real flying project is N46CJ, a Chinese Nanchang. So, my buddy Randy Thorne has been a resource for me..he had a RV4.. and has worked on my CJ6 a lot years ago. He could never figure out why I stayed with the Cj and not get an RV years earlier... I must be a laggard, go figure.

Ok, enough for now. Again, thanks for all your info and interest. I do want to pick up the phone and chat with some of you...Jim especially. So, will soon.
Will post pics here, or through Brandt.
Cheers,
dn

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to come up and take a look at your airplane and help out if I can. Perhaps this weekend if we can work it out.

Brant

Pix of N13KE

Here are pictures of Brad Overholser's craftsmanship which Dennis asked me to post on here. Click on any of these pictures to download the much-larger original size.

More to follow.

--Stephen

More N13KE Pix

And a few more. As before, click on any of these pictures to download the much-larger original size.

--
Stephen

Taken at O61?

Stephen, I was looking at posts and saw you posted this picture. If I am not mistaken, your first picture was taken at O61, Cameron Park, at the north end of the airpark. My father built that airport and FBO back in the early 60's. Both of us built several homes in the airport. What a nice place! It is fun to see Mike S here on VAF. I didn't know him when we loved there, but I wish I had!

rocky

And a few more. As before, click on any of these pictures to download the much-larger original size.

--
Stephen

Stephen, I was looking at posts and saw you posted this picture. If I am not mistaken, your first picture was taken at O61, Cameron Park, at the north end of the airpark. My father built that airport and FBO back in the early 60's. Both of us built several homes in the airport. What a nice place! It is fun to see Mike S here on VAF. I didn't know him when we loved there, but I wish I had!

rocky

It's a small world then, Rocky, as I grew up just 50m West of Cameron Park, near Nut Tree, and did my first flight training out of Davis. I had a few CAP friends who lived at or near Cameron Park, and went there once or twice in the late '70s for sleepovers. I recall the boys who lived there were twins or at least within a year of each other, but I don't recall their names. We may have crossed paths over 30 years ago!

--
Stephen

Rocky, you are correct.

This is in front of Dennis's house, and it is the dead end of Boeing at the north end.

I live quite a way from here, airpark wise-----on Fairway.

second_ground_run_10_10_12.jpg

Stephen,
We used to fly into the Nut Tree all the time when I was growing up. Take the train in, eat, go to the real cool toy store, and then get one of their huge ginger bread cookies. It was a blast. I was real sorry when the restaurant closed years ago. That was always a fun place to go - by car or air.

We moved to Cameron Park in 1963. There wasn't much there way back then. It was a great place to grow up. Maybe we did cross paths way back then. I am trying to remember who lived at the airpark that had twin boys and I am coming up blank.

A good friend of mine lives very close to Mike. He has built a couple of Kitfox's and is quite a craftsman.

How is your build going? Im plugging away, working on the plumbing and panel wiring - having a good time!

Mike - say hello to Lowell from me!

It's a small world then, Rocky, as I grew up just 50m West of Cameron Park, near Nut Tree, and did my first flight training out of Davis. I had a few CAP friends who lived at or near Cameron Park, and went there once or twice in the late '70s for sleepovers. I recall the boys who lived there were twins or at least within a year of each other, but I don't recall their names. We may have crossed paths over 30 years ago!

--
Stephen

Stephen,
We used to fly into the Nut Tree all the time when I was growing up. Take the train in, eat, go to the real cool toy store, and then get one of their huge ginger bread cookies. It was a blast. I was real sorry when the restaurant closed years ago. That was always a fun place to go - by car or air.

Yeah, growing up, I always felt like all of NorCal would come visit us at Nut Tree every weekend for the train and restaurant. Before I was flying, I always loved hanging out in the little shack out by the south ramp, right where the train would drop off people at their planes. Later, as a teenager, I was a ramp boy at the FBO on the north ramp. The restaurant was already declining by then, but the bookstore and toystore were still popular. My whole bedroom was covered in big black-and-white airplane posters I bought at that bookstore: Wright Bros at Kill Devil Hill, one of the Spruce Goose just clearing the water on its one flight, and a Spitfire from above with English countryside below.

I met Chuck Yeager in about 1980 right in the middle of that south ramp at Nut Tree.

We moved to Cameron Park in 1963. There wasn't much there way back then. It was a great place to grow up. Maybe we did cross paths way back then. I am trying to remember who lived at the airpark that had twin boys and I am coming up blank.

Maybe not twins. They would have been between 12 and 15-yo somewhere around 1979. I remember they looked enough alike that I'd mix them up sometimes. Another friend's dad flew us in to Cameron Park for the sleepovers, dropped us off, then left us there for a few nights. It was in the Summer, I'm sure. I just remember a somewhat large ranch-style house, and how utterly cool it was that some families could live with their airplanes. It was the first I'd ever heard of airparks. That's been my dream ever since.

How is your build going? Im plugging away, working on the plumbing and panel wiring - having a good time!

My -9 project's a little bit slowed for the move to ABQ; I brought all the wing ribs on my last trip, and I'll bring the spar and skins next time. I'm think of changing to a -14 though.

Glad you're well. Once we're both flying, maybe we can two-ship to go visit Mike on our way to the Homecoming some year. Best wishes!

--
Stephen

Boy that was a long time ago! I will have to go through some trunks with old pictures and see what I can find. That picture must have been about 1970-1975? I remember when they built the road from Meder to Green Valley. That is a cool picture. Where did you get it?

Back