What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N13KE

Nickster

Group.
I am remiss for not writing for months. Not checked the page either...

13KE is pretty much done and flying. I have found Kent Norman Rockwell's 3 now owned by a physician in Minnesota, Dr. Stanley Marcus. We have had one really great phone conversation a few weeks ago. He is as thrilled with his 3 as I am with mine...the quality of Brad and Rockey's talents... v special.
I plan to keep in touch with him and compare notes.

13KE is heavy, and nose heavy at 55.77 CG empty, 893lbs. Scaled it twice. I know the Hartzell is mostly to blame. 24lb concord battery ahead of the spar also.
I will relocate the batt aft and use on of the new Lithium Iron light weights.
Also a skytech starter will help a lot. With 15lbs in the baggage area, it is
ok for now. I know many empty CGs are in the mid 58 inch range. The Levert page helped a lot.

The plane much prefers wheel landings. Talking with other 3 owners, it seems consistent. I run out of nose up trim at about 85mph with flaps. Paul Dye and Ron H confirm it's due to a small trim tab. My full stall landings were pretty crummy. Was great chatting with Paul at the MHR show. Learned a lot.

I had a bad M L Gear shimmy which delayed the first flight. Turned out to be flat spots on the tires.... it sat for many years. New tires and tubes did the trick. Might install the dampeners when time permits.
When we OH's the bearings and brake calipers, we did not think to spin the tires. Dahh.

It took a while, but now the 3 has all new hoses... fuel, oil lines and cooler, brakes OH'd and new electrical wiring with new Klixon breakers, mag switch. EI FF and EGT/CHT. GPS 396. Really, a low budget OH.

We are now in Idaho Falls renovating a rental home and I must be bored in the hotel room tonight....Back to Cameron Park by Monday....can't wait to fly the 3 again.

Want to thank you all for past advise and support...Randy Thorne, Gary Eiler locally, and others on this site from months past....

Lastly.... the 3 is a little monster! About 160kts at 23 sq.... 180+ WFO.
A zoom climb shows 4k ft/min up decays to 2500, but that is still quite a thrill.
I had no idea you guys were having so much fun !!

I will keep in touch..... fly safe...
dn ( Nickster )

I Wish to correct my last post and credit Rob Holmes in my 10/23 post. Met him at our Show N Shine here at Cameron Airpark last month when he flew his
3B here for the show. Enjoyed our meeting and discussion. I took his advise about wheel landing the 3.

Also to mention that I learned about many typical RV3 empty CG ranges from the data page on Randy Lervold's registry. My bad spelling of his name.

Thanks.
dn

Back