What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N NUMBER

almarsh

Well Known Member
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY FOR IT?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
HOW TO GET REQESTED N?
WHERE TO APPLY FOR IT?

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT HERE WOULD BE GREATFUL
THANKS.

ALLEN
[email protected]

Reserve it

If you have not already done so and you have a number in mind you can search for it on the FAA registration website and then reserve it if available.

I am not flying yet so the process of attaching a reserved N-Number to an airplane is something I still need to know so I am looking forward to the answers to this post.

Cheers

Reserving an N Number

It's pretty simple. Go to:

Select up to five N numbers or a range and enter your credit card info. You'll be charged $10 and get a confirmation in the mail with your first available selection. After that, you'll get annual renewal notices from the FAA (also $10/yr) until you attach the N number to an aircraft.

Searching for an available N-number is such a pain on the FAA site.
Is there a way to download all of the available numbers without have to give every range and trailing character combo?
It looks like you can dump comma separated values that can be imported into a spreadsheet, but only for your current search pattern.

I already reserved a number for the RV-7 I hope to build (which only exists right now as a set of preview plans, and a dream). It was pretty easy to do, and I only put a single number in the request list on the FAA website and got that number.

Allen, your questions ask about getting an "N" number, but seem to recall you are getting closer to finishing your aircraft, SO thought you may have meant "how do I register my airplane?"

Below is a link to FAA. From hat page you should be able to find the info you need to either just find a N number, reserve that number or even register your plane, also what it takes to get your airworthiness cert.

FAA special airworthiness info

Download xls file

Searching for an available N-number is such a pain on the FAA site.
Is there a way to download all of the available numbers without have to give every range and trailing character combo?

You can be pretty vague with your search and then download the results as a spreadsheet. For example you could get all N numbers ending with "BH" by setting that end and the use "1" thru "ZZZ" to get all possible leading numbers.

1. Reserve an N number. Done on line via the FAA website.
2. Make sure you have paid any taxes that are due on your project, you are about to show up on your state's, countie's radar screen
3. Get your bill of sale from Van's
4. Register your plane with the reserved N number. If all of your paperwork is correct, this takes ~10 business days. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but it is really nothing. Between five and ten dollars.

5. After all of the above is done and you have your registration paperwork in hand, THEN you can get your airplane inspected when you are ready.

I registered my plane ~1 year before I was ready for the inspection.

Last edited:
n/register

thanks to everyone who made comments this is so much help, to get on the site and, get all of this expert advise. Anyone have more details on the subject of what and how much to claim for taxes, i want the gray area version!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as the straight line version?
any help on this area thanks

allen

I added up every receipt and claimed that amount. the black and white version.

Oh,BTW, the registration cannot be done over the internet. The form cannot be obtained from over the internet. Call your local FSDO and ask them to send you several blank forms. Remember, if you only have one form, you will screw it up.

Last edited:
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY FOR IT?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
HOW TO GET REQESTED N?
WHERE TO APPLY FOR IT?

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT HERE WOULD BE GREATFUL
THANKS.

ALLEN
[email protected]

Allen, if you are getting close to completion it is time to select a DAR and make contact. Your DAR (or FAA inspector) can provide all info you need to complete the paperwork for your project. You have received excellent advice but go ahead and get in touch with a DAR.

BE SURE YOU SHOP THE DAR AND SELECT ONE WITH A PROVEN HISTORY OF SATISFACTORY SERVICE.

I cannot emphasize that point too much, some builders have had horrible experiences with inspectors who aren't familiar with experimental aircraft. Check with your local EAA chapter and local builders to find a DAR that is good to work with. You can also use this list:

http://www.vansairforce.net/dar.htm

Best wishes for a speedy conclusion to your project!

...BE SURE YOU SHOP THE DAR AND SELECT ONE WITH A PROVEN HISTORY OF SATISFACTORY SERVICE.

I cannot emphasize that point too much, some builders have had horrible experiences with inspectors who aren't familiar with experimental aircraft. .......

If nothing else, Follow Sam's advice!

Back