What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Number size for RV-10

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Saturday my RV10 will be inspected and I need to put temporary N numbers on it so I can fly it. Can you put 3 inch N Numbers on the 10?

Pat

My understanding is that if it is experimental and has a MAX cruise less than 200 knotts, you can use 3" numbers.

Alton,

That's my understanding as well but I wanted to check and make sure. Vic will be coming in Saturday weather permitting so if you are looking for a reason to fly Saturday come on down.

Pat

3" N Numbers

The short answer is yes, you can use 3" numbers. The reg says "Aircraft up to 180 knots CAS." The point here is Calibrated Airspeed in cruise, not Vne. The whole rule is in 14 CFR Part 45 of the FARs.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Alton,

That's my understanding as well but I wanted to check and make sure. Vic will be coming in Saturday weather permitting so if you are looking for a reason to fly Saturday come on down.

Pat

I would love to come down. However, , , ,I am having RV withdrawals. The plane is at the paint shop I don't expect to get it back until the first week in March.

Here's an idea...

As Pat mentioned above, I have the honor of inspecting his airplane this coming Saturday. I will be taking the RV-10, and I will have 3 empty seats. If any of you in the Atlanta area would like to spend Saturday in an RV-10, see Pat's airplane, watch an inspection, spend time with a DAR and get your questions answered, we could make that work. I plan to be at Pat's (Zephyrhills) by 11 AM, so we need to leave Atlanta by 9. We can either meet at my place (Mallards Landing), or I could be talked into coming up to PDK or so. I am thinking we will stop at Cedar Key on the way home for dinner, so that's 3 legs, giving everyone some front seat time.
My email is [email protected], and my best contact number is 404-307-5133.

Vic

Last edited:
I got a 3" number kit from one of the office supply places, either max or depot I do not remember which. That was over 3 years ago and they are still there. When I paint it this summer I might do something else.

Just be careful ordering numbers from "office supply" type places. Sometimes their numbers come out a little short.

What timeare you getting to ZPH?

I expect George and I will be there around 8 or so if you feel like grabbing breakfast before Vic arrives.

Back