What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery wing access hole??

RV7Ron

Well Known Member
I'm putting together the leading edge sub-assembly for my left wing and I have a mystery access hole. Left wing, bottom side, near the tie-down and pitot area there is a non-joggled square access hole of some kind. I dont see it in the drawings and I cant for the life of me figure out why its there.

Not sure if this is pertinent information, but the part (and inventory matches) is labeled W-701-L-1 and the drawing shows a W-701-L (without the -1). Also, the right side doesnt have this access hole.

Is my skin correct and if so, what is that hole for? I was hoping I could get this answered on good ol' VAF, otherwise I'll have to ask Van's monday morning. I tried posting pics...not sure if it worked?

Temp

Temp

I believe it is to provide an access hole for installation of the stall warning switch now supplied with all kits.

Mystery solved. After seeing your posts, I did some research and found that I do have VA-195C and -195D...the doubler and access plate for the stall warner. So, it is in fact the access to the stall warning system. You would think they would update the 'current' drawings to show this? Hmm, oh well, as always, thanks guys...build on!

Hey Ron, Does the Inspection plate for that hole come in the Kit with the stall warner?? If so Can you give me a part number for the plate and the hardware that is used to attach it. I sold my Stall warner to another VAF member :(

-david

Update for future reference: Although it doesnt show the access hole on the 'current' drawing set it does show the access hole and all installation details in the actual stall warner kit...it comes with its own supplemental set of drawings.

Hey Ron, Does the Inspection plate for that hole come in the Kit with the stall warner?? If so Can you give me a part number for the plate and the hardware that is used to attach it. I sold my Stall warner to another VAF member :(

-david

David, I believe it did come with the stall warner kit.

Contents:

VA-195 Template
VA-195B Stall warner plate
VA-195C Access hatch doubler
VA-195D Access hatch
VA-195FG Mount bracket
VA-195E Mount plate
VA-196 Stall warning vane

...probably more information than you need. If you are just wanting to cover the access hole you will need 'C' and 'D'..and some nutplates.

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the part numbers, I was actually looking for the plate today and couldn't believe there was not one supplied. If you happen to scan that page of instructions in at some point could you email me a copy of them. Thanks again
-david

[email protected]

Just a clarification before I send my order to Van's:

does the stall warning kit includes all the parts needed to "create" the access hole on "old style" wing skins (without the prepunched access hole) or have I to order all the parts listed?

does the stall warning kit includes all the parts needed to "create" the access hole on "old style" wing skins (without the prepunched access hole) or have I to order all the parts listed?

I believe if you order the 'stall warner kit' you will have everything you need. The 'kit' is all inclusive to my knowledge. The only thing left to do would be locating and cutting the hole into the skin. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

yes, and a stall warner kit came with my wing kit that arrived a month ago

all plates are in there to plug that hole

Wing kit without stall warning?

Is it still possible to order the wingkit without a stall warning device? I don't want to install one, and I don't want to have a hole in the leading edge of my wing.

Is it still possible to order the wingkit without a stall warning device? I don't want to install one, and I don't want to have a hole in the leading edge of my wing.

I dont think Van's gives you an option, you are stuck with it. I am not installing mine either.

stall warning pre-drilled holes

Good morning Ingo,
the holes for the stall warning are not that obvious. there are three #40 holes on top of the LE and 2 on the bottom. the hole for the stall warning itself are about #40 and the instructions have you enlarge them to #10. Therefore if you dont want the stall warning system and you plan to paint your airplane the holes should be easy to bondo and cover up
B

Back