What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mystery photo #6

turbo

Well Known Member
img0277fx.jpg

i went out and took this pic today. not far from home. a unique place, not sure if there is another beside this one. what do you think?

added a few extra pics from the flight.enjoy your flying, turbo
img0285wj.jpg

img0279y.jpg

Certain it's for a particle accelerator war. You can see the extensions for the particle beams out of each corner building.

i thought this

would be a hard one but the vast knowledge on the VAF site is amazing. check out islandmonkeys links to the correct info. i used my mac speak feature to read it all to me while checking email and stuff. just wondering how islandmonkey figured it out. :confused:

would be a hard one but the vast knowledge on the VAF site is amazing. check out islandmonkeys links to the correct info. i used my mac speak feature to read it all to me while checking email and stuff. just wondering how islandmonkey figured it out. :confused:

I have spent quite a lot of time in Florida and have flown the whole length of the east coast several times. I had heard of the Chimp project but at first I did not associate it with the picture. I looked around on Google Maps in the area close to Stuart. You did leave that much of a clue. I found the location in about five minutes. I clicked on Google Maps pictures and videos. Some kind soul had left this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zaSYoVodX4

I do like these mystery picture posts Turbo. Keep them coming.

i am glad..........

you found it and included so much info on the location. the u-tube video was excellent and very moving. it will be a much more enjoyable flight every time i fly over now knowing what you have shown me in the posts. thanks again, will keep some mystery pics coming. was hoping it would catch on with other flyers. i believe many pilots are not able to download pics on the site. my mac makes it very easy. i would help anyone interested in learning. turbo:rolleyes:
img2104copy.jpg

"it will be a much more enjoyable flight every time i fly over now knowing what you have shown me in the posts. thanks again, will keep some mystery pics coming". turbo:rolleyes:

It is sort of ironic that "The Islandmonkey" showed you what was there :) .

Think of me every time you fly over the chimps. I am happy to make you flights more enjoyable. I can see you making slight diversions in future to overfly the location.

I will post some mystery photos too in the future. I will use mostly European locations.

Here is one to kick off. It would be unfair if you are British to answer this. Leave this for our American cousins:

This island located off the coast of the UK has an airfield and issues its own postage stamps.

WorkonLundyMar07061.jpg

...and was on a US news TV show...

It is sort of ironic that "The Islandmonkey" showed you what was there :) .

Think of me every time you fly over the chimps. I am happy to make you flights more enjoyable. I can see you making slight diversions in future to overfly the location.

I will post some mystery photos too in the future. I will use mostly European locations.

Here is one to kick off. It would be unfair if you are British to answer this. Leave this for our American cousins:

This island located off the coast of the UK has an airfield and issues its own postage stamps.

...on energy useage and measurement....

But, even though I haven't lived in England for 40 years, I won't give the answer per "IslandMonkey's" rules....:)

UPDATE - definitely got it - but ignore the previous clue.
Also, the definition of "airfield" is probably stretching it for this location...:)

Last edited:
Lundy it is.

Wendell gets the cigar!

Well done that man. Did you know the answer or did you research it? Either way, well done again.

I suspect Gil knew the answer but in the spirit of fairness, did not reveal it.

Here is some more information on Lundy, it makes a good read:

Lundy

An RV-4 came to grief a few years ago when its gear collapsed due to the very rough runway. No one was injured fortunately.

Googled for Island in Britain that has its own postage stamp

Then zoomed in on a map of the answer and voila... Paydirt...
Would like to visit someday. Last year I only got to see London area and trip to Bath & Stonehenge. - by auto.:(

There I was at 11,000

Sorry the pic is so fuzzy. I was at 11k due to restricted airspace, it was hazy, low light, and phone zoomed in as far as it could be.

Where am I?

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 157
Where is this?

Ok you americans cant guess.��

I mean the mountain range in the back, just joking.

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 133
Hmmm...iphone photo doesn't look like the GE image.

Maybe the flying circus was lost?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 8.43.12 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 8.43.12 AM.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 90
Hmmm...iphone photo doesn't look like the GE image.

Maybe the flying circus was lost?

Scenery probably changed since Goldfinger was filmed. Shaken, not stirred.

As I said it was very hazy and you are probably right. I was over the Fort Knox restricted area and I thought the building was the vault. Eyes ain’t what they used to be. Saw a box building and it was heavily fenced.

Last edited:
I was there one hot, no wind day and a Aero Commander 560 landed, stayed for the show and then departed. The landing was fine but the takeoff very marginal.

It is a challenging field indeed. I came light on fuel with most of the interior removed. There was a rough spot with a bump about 1/3 of the field.

Added; Couple pictures from their Airshow 2015

Rhinebeck 2015 - 1.jpeg

Rhinebeck 2015 - 1 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• Rhinebeck 2015 - 1 (2).jpeg
    Rhinebeck 2015 - 1 (2).jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back