What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery holes

wirejock

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what hardware should be installed in these two holes?
There are two each side in the forward side of the Center Section. They don't attach to anything as far as I can tell.
The Aft side has two bolts that go in from Aft-Forward into nutplates in the wing spar web.
20230825_145250.jpg

There are two each side in the forward side of the Center Section. They don't attach to anything as far as I can tell.
The Aft side has two bolts that go in from Aft-Forward into nutplates in the wing spar web.
View attachment 47042

Residual holes from common parts -- the forward parts are the same as the aft parts.

View attachment 47042

Those are used on the -8 on the aft but no holes on the fwd side of center section on mine. I know -7 vs -8

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Getting close to finishing, I get really nervous when I find stuff like this.

Check the Service bulletin that talks about missing bolts.

I kinda helped instigate that SB a long time ago. Found & reported 3 RVs with them missing...

Drawing 11 - AN4-13A bolts, there should be 2 nutplates on front side of spar located between the big attach bolts.

Last edited:
Just me

On my rv9a, those get bolts through the shear web, probably to keep shear web from flexing.

But let me warn you, when you install the nutplates, put a bolt in them. Mine tended to wonder away from center when riveted on. I had to really work at getting those bolts in when I put the wings on.

I kinda helped instigate that SB a long time ago. Found & reported 3 RVs with them missing...

Drawing 11 - AN4-13A bolts, there should be 2 nutplates on front side of spar located between the big attach bolts.

That's not a problem. I see those on the drawings. The bolts go in Aft-Forward into nutplates in the wing spar web. Nutplates are installed.

On my rv9a, those get bolts through the shear web, probably to keep shear web from flexing.

But let me warn you, when you install the nutplates, put a bolt in them. Mine tended to wonder away from center when riveted on. I had to really work at getting those bolts in when I put the wings on.

Good point. I will check before installing the wings but as a matter of habit, I always use a screw or bolt to align the nutplate before riveting. I've been burned as well.

Don’t know about the 7 but an 8 does use.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 106
There was an SB regarding the bolts and blocks used in this area. I believe they are required and have been overlooked by some builders.

Roberta

SB

There was an SB regarding the bolts and blocks used in this area. I believe they are required and have been overlooked by some builders.

Roberta

Nope. The SB bolts are inserted aft/forward into nutplates in the spar web.
The mystery holes are on the forward side of the center section. There is nothing on either side. They are left empty.

I guess you are talking about these... It's also one of the "must do" items on my final inspection list.
On my RV7 plans they are mentioned on DWG11 bottom left.
I also read that many forget them. Not a real good idea on something holding the wingspar.

CaptureBolt1.JPG

CaptureBolt2.JPG

Last edited:
I guess you are talking about these... It's also one of the "must do" items on my final inspection list.
I also read that many forget them. Not a real good idea on something holding the wingspar.

This is very similar to my RV8 as well.

Holes

Jurgen
Those are not the holes. Look at the opposite side of the Center Section. Two matching holes with nothing in them

they looked like the holes you indicated in red on your screenshot on the original post. not sure which ones you mean then. I had one open hole on the F704 rear web next to the F704-D top line, it had no rivet in it but it had one in the opposite forward side web. I placed an AN4 bolt and nut on it which I can still remove it for some magical reason, I find the real reason why that rivet was missing.

edit:>> I get it now... those bolt indeed only go through one side and end in nutplates on the wingspar. I guess the forward holes will remain unused and open. probably same settings on the CNC machine for the identical parts on front and back of F704.

Last edited:
Jurgen
Those are not the holes. Look at the opposite side of the Center Section. Two matching holes with nothing in them

The nutplates are mounted to the spar. The bolts go through the side that has the aluminum block and clamp down on the spar by bolting to the nutplates. So I guess the holes on the other side are not used.

Back