What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery Castle Nut

AspenFlyer

I'm New Here
While cleaning up the plane yesterday, I found a castle nut in the passenger footwell area. No pin or bolt, just a lone nut.

Checked all of the rudder control linkages and none are missing any nuts. I can't think of any other places in that area where the nut might have come from.

Any ideas of other areas I should check? I'm a bit anxious to fly knowing that something isn't being held together at the moment...

Welcome to VAF!

Jamie, first off, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Did you build the plane, or purchase it??

If you built it, I would suggest you look at the plans and see where such a nut would be used--------that will give you a head start into where to look for a missing nut------if in fact one is actually missing in action, and not just a dropped leftover from the building process.

If you bought it flying, hopefully you got the plans..................

What model of RV do you have, may help somebody to make accurate suggestions as to where to look.

General rule-of-thumb is to use a castle nut anyplace where the bolt is used as a pivot/axle-----such as the rudder pedal and brake master cylinders where you are already looking.

Also, what size is it -3, -4 or something else?? May help to determine where it came from.

Good to have you aboard :D

Last edited:
So far in my fuselage assy there are castle nuts on:
- rudder control cables
- brake cylinder/pedals
- control stick assy. (1 each at left and right stick)
- top of flap motor assy

Can't think of any more right now.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - Glad to be here!:D

I'll check the brake master cylinder. It seems the most likely candidate.

In response to the questions above, the plane is an RV-7. I was not the original builder, but I've got most of the documents and plans on hand. I'm not sure on the nut sizing, but it's the same as those used on the rudder assembly.

I didn't catch whether yours was a tip up or a slider. I have a tip and used a bolt and castlenut (the Checkoway method) in place of the quick release pins on the canopy hinges.

Also, if yours is a tip-up, there's also a castle nut on the canopy locking mechanism. Granted that's on the pilots side but you never know.

I often used castle nuts as temporary nuts during the building process, if I needed a nut to hold something in place, but knew that I would be removing that item again. I did this to avoid installing and removing fibre-insert lock nuts.

If you have checked all possible bolts that could have castle nuts, perhaps this one was dropped during the build, and has only now come to light

Aspen?

Hey, are you based at Aspen airport? Im just down the hill near Glenwood Springs. Im building a 9A - when I am home. I work out of state often and Im in Michigan right now. When I get back, we will have to get together.

If will be nice having another RV in the area.

I often used castle nuts as temporary nuts during the building process, if I needed a nut to hold something in place, but knew that I would be removing that item again. I did this to avoid installing and removing fibre-insert lock nuts.

If you have checked all possible bolts that could have castle nuts, perhaps this one was dropped during the build, and has only now come to light

I use hardware store nuts for temporary fastening.

The silver color vs. the gold color of the real aircraft nuts makes them easy to spot...:)

Check the rest of the fuse, tip upsidedown etc etc shake and inspect carefully, this sort of floxam can jam critical flight controls.

For future reference including during maintainance. Never leave job until lost components or tools are found, sounds a bit sloppy to me..... This simple **** will kill you unexpectantly and quick, stuff rattling around in a aeroplane is bad news.

To be honest, i wouldn't expect or tollerate this sort of laps from a car mechanic. (athough they are renound for it), surgeons also leave **** inside patients, both have the bennifit of ground elevation and their own bacon isn't on the line...

Don't leave **** lying around during your build, a nut/washers should should be replaced on a bolt asap, unless its in the parts bin, also ask passangers and make sure you empty your own pockets before every flight.

A spanner, socket, nut, washer could kill you just as quick as a plastic pen, lighter, coin etc...

Back