What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery Brass Bushings

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I am starting to wrap up the build. Fuselage done, working on the wings.

Hunting thru my inventory I came across 4 brass bushings (.375x.065x2.32). I had written on them "control col"?? I went back and checked the manual on the stick bushings, and can see no mention of using the brass bushing.

I have not installed the flaps or ailerons, but I quickly reviewed the manual and don't see them used there either.

Any help out there?

Check page 39-8. That's the size of the bushings used on the control column but as you stated the plans don't specify (nor do a I remember) what material they are made of. But me thinks that at least 2 of them are used there.

Check out page 23-4. The aileron bellcrank bushing is the same material, though the length is 2.781. I seem to remember that I ended up ordering two of these because I could only find the shorter one you are referring to.

Too Short for Aileron Bellcrank

I see that the manual says use BR .065x.375, and I guess I could interpret that as "Brass". But as you mentioned, they are too short to make aileron bellcranks. I'll wait for more answers then I am going to call Vans.

Please let me know!

I ended up with two extra bronze bushings. They came in one of the parts bags. When I got the control stick base fittings, there were identical bronze bushings ty wrapped the them. All I can figure was they sent a set of duplicates...

If that isn't what Vans says, please post...

The Answer from Van's

Ok, here is the answer from Van's.

The brass (they told me they are not bronze) go into the control stick control and the aileron bell crank.

He told me to remove the aluminum bushing that I have in the control stick and replace them. Lotta work, but OK... I will do it.

My problem is that I have 4 bushings left over, 2 go into the control stick and 2 go into the aileron bell crank, but neither are long enough to be used in the bell crank bushing. Some deep diving into my inventory may yield results, but I doubt it.

That's the story.

Back