What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mysterious engravings

I am not surprised Van's has no idea what the marks mean. It appears to me someone etched those marks using an electric pencil. The practice is not at all uncommon and I sometimes use the technique myself.

2q2lttl.jpg

You give no indication if the kit was originally purchased by you therefore it would seem reasonable to assume you bought the kit from another builder. Is my guess in fact correct?

Last edited:
It's got to be the 'born on' date code from a recycled Budweiser can after going through multiple recycling / reforming stages until being reborn as a kit plane part...:D Either that or a GPS 'if lost, return to' location...:cool:

Yeah I know, we are to recycle but hasn't it gone too far this time? ;)

Rick, it's a standard wing kit I bought from Vans in 2006 and I have had it in my possession all the time. I am in the process of removing the marks and it is a somewhat tedious job.

/Ulf T

Rick, it's a standard wing kit I bought from Vans in 2006 and I have had it in my possession all the time. I am in the process of removing the marks and it is a somewhat tedious job./Ulf T

You may not have to remove the marks if they were made with an electric pencil like Rick shows above. Van's instructions specifically mention marking parts and that it's OK. If not, I'm in trouble as I marked most of my parts prior to priming.

I thought they specifically said not to use an engraver like that?

At any rate, I think I saw another thread awhile back that said that it was an imprint from the engraver markings on the stamping dies that Vans uses.

Are all of the rib markings Identical?

When I say identical I mean do they appear to be a transfer from a tool that contained this marking in some fashion? If not, are the numbers on all of the flanges the same? All of the numbers and letters are the same backward or forward so it is possible that 1\W\018 is actually 810/W/1 in the original or intermediate form. How wide is the flange? Is it 1 inch. Is the radius on the inside of the transition from the flange to the rib web approximately .018"? W may stand for Wing. Does the fact that the center completion of the 8 is missing mean anything? Many clues, few answers.

Bob Axsom

Section: 6 The Empennage (RV-7/7A), Rear Spar Assembly, there is this quote:

"Despite earlier admonitions about scribing or scratching aluminum, it is permissible to use a vibrating pencil or a system of light punch marks to make identifying marks that will be visible after priming."

Back