What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mysterious aluminium bar

pgroell

Well Known Member
Friend
Hello all,
In my finishing kit, I received two quite heavy aluminium (aluminum) bars.
See the picture :

Bars.jpg

The packing list indicates they are for C-723. But C-723s are only small wedges not more than 5/32 at the thickest point.
Is Vans just sending out some aluminium stock or did I miss something?

look in preview plans, chapter 4?

Hi,
I believe chapter/section 4 or 5 has a table that lists parts that need to be crafted from raw materials.

Dave

on the road, wishing I could work on the FWF, panel, etc...

The bottom one is PN F-904E. Not sure what it is, but it is listed as a PN on the Van's Web site. Just type in the ABS# and it will come up with the PN.

I've always thought, someday, it would be really cool to have CAD drawing of all RV's with a PN search service. Type in a PN and it would take yuo to a 3D drawing of that part and where it goes. Someday.

Last edited:
canopy material

I think that the larger bar is for the front canopy hinge support and the smaller one is for front canopy pivot support or wedge in the front side of the canopy. You'll eventually come across it in the plans.

Not quite

Well , thanks for your answer, but the bars remain mysterious.
No luck in the Parts Index, the F-904E shows as 41.5" long , those are only 4".
The forward canopy hinge uses AB4-250 bar and is already done (I got a 9" bar to make two 1 7/8 parts).
By the way, the two bars are identical.
May be they are for a RV-9 tip-up.

If there is one area that Vans can improve on it is their parts list and packaging. Compared to Lancair and Glasstar Vans system just plain sucks. I spent many frustrating hours trying to find parts and on a couple of occasions ordered duplicates and then found them later. Hopefully Vans will address this soon. Don

The bars are for the small, and I mean small, wedge for a tip up canopy. They are somewhat overkill but most people make several before they get it right. I don't know why they send two but that is the same that I had and the canopy is finished. I beleive that checkoway has a reference to those at his site.

Agreed..

If there is one area that Vans can improve on it is their parts list and packaging. Compared to Lancair and Glasstar Vans system just plain sucks. I spent many frustrating hours trying to find parts and on a couple of occasions ordered duplicates and then found them later. Hopefully Vans will address this soon. Don

At least a "where used" listing would be nice.

Agree also

Originally Posted by yakdriver View Post

Been very frustrated looking for parts in all different bags they send. I too had to order parts and find them later on in one of the bags.
Maybe they should NOT combine all parts for each section into one bag (rivets, bolts, washers, ....).
I would have like to see them seperated by type. For example :
One bag for the entire kit for each of rivet kind.
One bag for the entire kit for AN3
so on and so on.

Ben

Stop rant about Vans listing

Hi all,
I didn't want to criticize Van's packing system (there are few other threads about this on VAF), just wanted to know if I missed something obvious.
It just seems those big bars are overkill to make the two small wedges.
The bars are 5/8 x 1 1/4 x 4.
The wedges are 5/32 X 1 15/32 X 1/2.
So not one dimension coincides, a lot of cuts have to be made.
It's not a problem per se (as usually I'll manage to get a few wrong) it's just strange.

Ballast?

Perhaps they are just ballast? :D I have just about finished up the tipup canopy frame on my 9A and certainly did not use these for the wedges! Being a cheap sort, I scrounged some scrap angle and cut/sanded that to fit.

cheers,
greg

Back