What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mysteries of Ice

petehowell

Well Known Member
Just like Deano sang.... "Baby it's cold outside" - Plenty cold, Ubetcha!

Its in the teens below zero last night, but it dawned calm and clear this morning, so off I went to see if 9er-Pop-Hotel could be dragged out of her nice (sorta) warm hangar. She reluctantly complied, so off we went, camera in tow!

I headed north to the lakes and looked for interesting stuff - what struck me was the ice and snow on the lakes and how it fell naturally into patterns.

Much like sand in the desert, the wind forces the snow to define a low energy surface, here from high above...

Winter%20Flying%20017.jpg

Zooming in you can make out small drifts and areas of clear ice....

Winter%20Flying%20009.jpg

More of the same - almost like brushstrokes....

Winter%20Flying%20010.jpg

Here, it looks like you can see the shadows of the bigger drifts/weeds on the bottom thru the clear ice. Very interesting....
Winter%20Flying%20013.jpg

Next, I headed south to Saint Paul - yep, it is as cold as it looks....

Winter%20Flying%20030.jpg

Winter%20Flying%20040.jpg

River ice on the Mississip looks about the same...

Winter%20Flying%20050.jpg

What did we learn?? Flying the RV is a hoot no matter what the Temp!!!

Stay warm (and classy) VAfinistas!!!

Last edited:
Sweet pics Pete!

Nice photography. I can attest to the coldness here. Pretty brutal. Every winter it makes me wonder why I continue to live in the Twin Cities area. However, I will say that with the cold comes the beauty of winter which can be indescribable as Pete's pics show. Also with the cold comes some of the best climb performance you will ever see out of an RV!!:D In fact our Cessna 172K (150HP) climbs out at over 1000 fpm in the real cold air. Makes that old bird act like a hot rod.

Ice

Amen to hot rod performance in the cold. Our old Commanche 260 would climb 2000 rpm when light on a cold day. The most exciting for me was a flight in the Pitts (S-2A) on a severe cold day here in Milwaukee - 22 below zero Farenheit with a 35 knot wind. Probably bad for the fabric, but man was it exciting. TO roll seemed about 100 feet and climb near vertical. A short flight with no heater. Lots of opportunity for that sort of thing here in MKE! DA was 1500 below SL last week.

Brrr. I'm headed to Eden Prairie in a couple of weeks for some business. Beautiful photos, and they remind me I'd better pack some warm things!!

Oooohh

Great pictures!

Whenever I need to feel warmer, I look here - http://english.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:00000.1.24266

Suffering along with Lars with high's in the mid 50's....

-53 F OMG...that is why I quit working in the Canadian bush in N Quebec

Verhojansk, Russia (Airport)
Updated: 2 hr 48 min 31 sec ago
nt_clear.gif
-53 ?F
Clear
Humidity: 64% Dew Point: -57 ?F Wind: 2 mph from the SW

Wind Gust: - Pressure: 30.79 in (Falling) Visibility: 12.0 miles Elevation: 449 ft

Back