What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My RV Weekend

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Short version: Flew from Perry, GA (PXE) to Ocala, FLA (OCF) early Friday evening. 160 kts ground speed, 240 miles and 12 gals fuel. 2300 rpm, 1.5 hours and a decent tail wind. First flight with new Lightspeed 20-3G ANR headset. Now, the music from my XM Roady2 sounds the way it should. Huge improvement over my David Clarks. Saturday morning I flew with my nephew (11 y.o.) to Crystal River (CGC). A short hop from Ocala and his first small plane ride. A clear, beautiful, cool, January day on Florida's gulf coast.
We were met by my sister and her friend with his airboat. This thing has a Continental 540 and a HUGE carbon graphite prop. The thrust is incredible. We were in the water, on the ground, over the mud, just ridiculous but a great time! It was my first airboat experience and I want to do it again.
Florida's inlets and marshes are so beautiful and I forgot my camera :( . Boated up to Peck's Old Port Cove in Ozello. "Fresh blue crabs because we farm our own". This is a waterside restaurant with fantastic food. Highly recommended.
Back to CGC and departure back to Georgia. All I can say is that the flight back was magical. The weather was gorgeous. I cruised at 8500 and was passed along by Jacksonville, Valdosta, and Atlanta controllers all the while jamming to the 70's station on the XM. Almost brings a tear to the eye.
Back home on my sofa by 5pm Saturday and all set to watch the playoffs tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great day Bruce! Glad someone had good weatehr - we've been socked in here in Texas for about a week.....with a glimmer of hope for tomorrow!

Paul

your killing me..

Quit rubbing it in.. man it sounds like your having fun.. why don't you
fly that thing over here and help me finnish up mine.. I am very happy
your having the time of you life.. keep posting those , I need the
info for all the dreaming I am doing..

Your friend..
Danny..

Great flight report, Bruce.

Where did you pick up the XM Roady2? I need something to keep me awake while cruisin' along.

P.S. Later addition -
A bit of research indicates the Roady 2 is out of production. Perhaps the XT has replaced it?

Last edited:
RV at CGC

Bruce was that your RV in military colors at CGC. I stopped for gas on my way back to SAO from the RV Fly-In at LAL. It appears that you are getting into the RV thing and finding out how enjoyable it is. Airboating is as addictive as flying so watch out or you might be building one. We really enjoy ours, half the fun of fishing is getting there in the airboat.
Gerry Chancey, Steinhatchee, Florida
RV-9 N92GC
Cub NC88583
Airboat 15' Rivermaster, 0470 Continental

Yea that was mine. Going to LAL was my plan "A" until the airboat oppurtunity came up. What a blast. My hair still has "that wind blown look"! I have tried emailing you about a visit to Steinhatchee. Please send me your current email address and phone number. We need to get this pair o' nines together.
Bruce

Sounds like a nice trip but...

You could have flown to Charlotte and given one of the few RV-9 builders a ride. :D

Seriously, it is good to hear you are enjoying the plane so much!

I hope to be joining you soon. Soon = w/in the next 10 years +/-

Back