What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My RV-12 Wing Caddy Concept

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Being close to migrate to the airport hangar I am starting to look in earnest at the financial aspects of this move. Pending a satisfactory trailer solution, one way to optimize the cost of an airport hangar is to use this RV-12 great design feature of removable wings. However, to make this feature usable, we need to be able to handle the wings removal/attachment as a one person operation. This would make the hangar sharing of two RV-12s more attractive (if you are currently building an RV-12, you know that another RV-12 will come to your area soon ;-). In addition the Wing Caddy could also be used by the builders and will be needed by trailer users in the future.

Here is my idea of the concept:

- The wing caddy replaces the person who is holding the end of the wing, the live operator is holding the part of the wing spar that plugs into the fuselage, it is made of:
. A three wheels chariot platform with the front wheel on caster
. A hook simulating a hand that would anchor to the handle at the wing end
. The hook's shaft would be supported by a column rising from the platform, adjustable in height
. The hook would be able to rotate around it's shaft to allow the pick-up/drop off of the wing from a wing stand

- A tri-pod stand would allow the operator to rest the wing spar temporarily to attend the wing caddy or other tasks

Note that the weight of the wing being mainly on the wing spar side, the caddy does not need to be that strong and can be kept light as well as all its components (does <50 pounds rings the bell?;)).
Having no experience in wings attachment/removal, I am mostly interested in the feed back of those who have "done that, been there": is this a realistic approach?

I'm not at all familiar with the RV-12, but I've rigged hundreds of gliders and you might want to have a look at the one-man rigging aids used in the soaring community. Here is a (lengthy) video as example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N31l-JiNO9Y

The key ideas here are to support the wing close to its CG, so that the operator doesn't have to lift much weight (easier to steer), the tilting of the wing dolly, and of course the possibility for horizontal (front-aft) and vertical adjustment.

Maybe that helps. I don't know if it's possible to apply this to the -12.

Is there some way to utilize the existing wing tiedown fittings (underside and perhaps, topside, locations) to fasten to a temporary wing support tower?

Maybe a big "U"-shaped stand on four (?) wheels with the top of one leg of the "U" temporarily bolted (@ pivot point) to the underside wing tiedown fitting and a staight piece of threaded rod sticking out of the topside wing tiedown fitting that would rest on the top of the other leg of the "U" thus serving as a stabilizing support when the wing is removed and pivoted 90 degrees nose-down. Or just pivot the wing 90 degrees to a nose-down position resting against the stand's vertical support?

Rube Goldberg here I come!!

Another thought -- How about temporarily installing a relatively simple/lightweight/wheeled stand on the outer portion of the wing (use either a hand-hold mount or a tiedown fitting mount), pull out the wing just enough to get a good grip on the main spar stub, then install a wheeled caddy on the main spar stub (i.e., the heaviest end of the wing and the more substantial place to attach a rolling caddy), then walk out to the wingtip and drag the wing out and off to the hangar?

Trailer

I've been pondering whether or not it is practical to use a trailer. In my area of Taxifornia, a nearby hanger rents for $6-800 per month so I'd like to be able to take my 12 home after flying. Or course, I have to plan to be able to dismantle and trailer the 12 single handedly. This means that a practical wing dolly or two needs to be invented. Thanks to all of you who are ahead of me in designing this necessary item.

I believe that we all can learn a lot by copying (if possible with our wide/stubby wings) the equipment that those who trailer sailplanes use. Thanks to all of the 'leaders'.

I believe that we all can learn a lot by copying (if possible with our wide/stubby wings) the equipment that those who trailer sailplanes use. Thanks to all of the 'leaders'.

The main difference I see with glider's solutions is with size and weight of the respective wings. It is why I lean toward grabbing the RV-12 wing by the handle at the end of the wing where the weight is about 33 pounds. While the overall structure of the caddy might replicate the glider's one, the grabbing device would have to be different. I have the feeling that the grabbing device I outlined would be simpler and easier to fabricate than the one for a glider because it is operating clear of the wing when it rotates.

Keep It Simple

I would recruit a helper ... there is some "tweaking" when sliding the wings on...just have to be able to adjust the angle at which you slide the wings into the fuselage to get everything lined up. I dont think there is an easy and safe way to do it alone.

Just my opinion :)

I would recruit a helper ... there is some "tweaking" when sliding the wings on...just have to be able to adjust the angle at which you slide the wings into the fuselage to get everything lined up. I dont think there is an easy and safe way to do it alone.

Just my opinion :)

Your opinion is valuable and appreciated. Indeed the challenge of the wing caddy concept is, with all due respect, to prove your last phrase wrong. After all, for this project, is not your moto: "Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains...you need at least two" already wrong? :D

Wing Caddy

I put mine on and take them off by myself all the time. On the outboard end of each wing is a cradle on wheels that holds the wing horizontal to the floor about 2 ft high; it is essentially a strip of carpet between two vertical 2x4s connected together. On the inboard end is a holder made from 2x4s with a wheel on the bottom; this holder slips over the spar and is held in place with a large C clamp. This arrangement allows me to store the wings low in my T hanger and allows me to park the RV-12 fuselage in the rear of the hanger and my RV-8 in the middle. It is very easy to pull the RV-8 outside, move the RV-12 fuselage to the middle and maneuver the wings to each side for installation; takes about 5 minutes.

Getting somewhere

I put mine on and take them off by myself all the time. On the outboard end of each wing is a cradle on wheels that holds the wing horizontal to the floor about 2 ft high; it is essentially a strip of carpet between two vertical 2x4s connected together. On the inboard end is a holder made from 2x4s with a wheel on the bottom; this holder slips over the spar and is held in place with a large C clamp. This arrangement allows me to store the wings low in my T hanger and allows me to park the RV-12 fuselage in the rear of the hanger and my RV-8 in the middle. It is very easy to pull the RV-8 outside, move the RV-12 fuselage to the middle and maneuver the wings to each side for installation; takes about 5 minutes.

Thanks Paul, your contribution is just what I wish this thread could bring: a collection of ideas and solutions to help builders solve this wing caddy issue. Any picture to show?

I like your idea a lot. Any chance I could get a photo of two of your setup?

Pictures only need to be uploaded once to a photo sharing website like Picasa. Posting the Picasa link to the pictures will allow all builders to see your great idea.
Joe Gores

Normally you right click on the picture and select copy link. In the VAF forum you click on the picture symbol (square with the mountain and sun) and insert the URL. In this case you can also copy the link with the provided by photobucket and copy/paste that to your posting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Gagarin737. I appreciate your help. Here are all of Paul's photos.

[IMG]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mschrimmer/RV-12%20Wing%20Caddy/DSC00746.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

For those not yet convinced, today I took my wings out of the wing rack, put them on the "installation rollers" and installed them all by myself. When done with the drilling exercise I pulled them off, put them back on the wing rack, and back inside. The system works quite well as Paul had indicated, I even had a breeze to contend with, no problem. My KitLog will have photos as soon as I upload them.

Don, I had a look at your kitlog pictures. This confirmed two things, ...firstly that the wings can be taken on and off by one person, ....and secondly the build order can be changed for those guys that have limited workshop space like myself. Thanks Don and Paul for your pics.:)

One of the advantages of my build sequence, is the ease of drilling the flaperon control connection. A totally easy job with the tailcone not on. I intend to mount the engine also prior to tailcone attachment.

Flying car ?

One of the advantages of my build sequence, is the ease of drilling the flaperon control connection. A totally easy job with the tailcone not on. I intend to mount the engine also prior to tailcone attachment.

Looks great with the wings and tail off !
With the engine mounted, and using brakes to steer, you have a nice little car !
Now if only the tail was as easy to attach as the wings..
:))

Paul's Design...

Thanks Paul. Another happy customer.:D Your design worked as advertised.

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back