What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My next RV-4...

Not Bad....

Let's see, that video was a minute and twenty two seconds long - I think that might represent the total flight test time Innodyne got on that engine....:rolleyes:(oh, I know I'm being bad!)

You have checked the price of JetA right?

Yeah... 40gph * $6/gal, that's what... who cares, I'm broke before I even get off the ground.

Here's "another" way I had thought... what about RV-4/LSA? Install a Jabiru 2200/3300, or Rotax. Move the wing aft about 6" for the lighter engine. Install two more panels (4' total) on each wing tip to put the AR closer to 6:1 and drop the stall speed to LSA requirements... leave the spar structure along, it would still be good to +/-4.4 easy. 32gal lasts 8hrs at 4gph. Say 130kts (hey, it's my dream)... that's 975nm range w/VFR res. Empty weight could be as low as 750lbs, That leaves 570lbs useful. Two 170lb grinning idiots and full fuel with 40lbs of baggage.

Pooh Pooh if you will but...

Nope, not doing the Inodyne or running Jet A, SYNTHETIC my brothers...
Smokey

Future fuel, I believe...

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123090913

BTW, my friend Arvil (built 9 RV4's) was building an RV4 LSA with an 0-235, climb prop and no electrical system just before he died last month of cancer.

Last edited:
BTW, my friend Arvil (built 9 RV4's) was building an RV4 LSA with an 0-235, climb prop and no electrical system just before he died last month of cancer.

What's the disposition of his project? I'd like to look at it.

Nope, not doing the Inodyne or running Jet A, SYNTHETIC my brothers...

In the end, market pressures force any fuel (regardless of source) to cost about the same. The AF is doing this for political and environment reasons. But it will still cost just as much (if not more, we're talking goverment contracts here) to fly on synthetic. Let's put this in the... I'll believe it when I see it category.

Bean counters...

Actually, I would rather go Electric, but right now it's not feasible.(No altitude limitations no oil leaks) I really want to experiment with next generation fuel and I believe the AF is leading the charge in what will take place throughout the marketplace. 5 Airlines have already gone under in the past month trying to operate with high fuel costs, maybe this is one alternative. One of my buds in the AF cost analysis dept told me in no uncertain terms that their budget for fuel was limited to the point of being critical. Going synthetic, especially in the heavies that burn huge amounts and fly alot has cut their overall fuel bill from previous years by 1/3. Whether we see cheap alternative fuel in our lifetime is yet to be seen. I'm still not selling the Rocket anytime soon, even if it's $10 a gallon, it's money well spent.:)
Call it political or environmental but having been there and done that for 26 years I can assure you, when the money runs out the flying stops.
No Bucks, no Buck Rogers...

Smokey

I'll try to get some pictures of Arvil's project for you...

Last edited:
Was that a Jet or is someone whining

Go getem Smokey! 1 moving part, light, alternate fuel possibility, enjoyment building, potenial extreme performance, why not?

Fighter pilot; experience builder; yeah, it will work.

"But I shall certainly admit a system as empirical or scientific only if it is capable of being tested by experience" The logic of Scientific Discovery

SPUDS

Hey Smokey.....I like the way you're thinking I'll bet you and some of your engeerining buds sould be able to figure out how to make this work.....when you do give me a call so I can place my order.

Glenn Wilkinson
N654RV@ MLJ

ICAO is ready for you

Relating to the other current thread "AC Type on Flight Plan"... if you go to http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm and do a search on "Van's" as manufacturer, you will see RV4T as the type designator for a turboprop RV-4.

So the ICAO is there waiting for you to build one of these so you can start filing flight plans for it already. What more do you need! Go do it.

The Brothas...

Thanks Guys,
Now I know a little of how the Wright Bros must have felt...

Powered flight? YGBSM! :)

Smokey

Back