What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My new 12 won't power up?

Dave12

Well Known Member
I attempted to power up RV12 73DF for the first time tonight and the master relay won't energize. The battery is good and I have double checked the wiring. I have concluded that it is something stupid and just staring me in the face. Has anyone else experienced this or am I a trend setter?:confused:

check that the master relay is not backwards. the battery can only go to one of the terminals; master switch goes to ground.

You might consider de-terming the relay and hot wiring it on the bench to see if it clicks. That would rule out a bad coil. Hook an ohm meter across the contacts to see if they close when (if) the coil picks up.

If the master contactor is not mounted upside down, then take some voltage measurements with the master switch on and post the results.
Using ground as a reference, measure the voltage on all 3 contactor terminals. Repeat measurements using battery positive as a reference.

Just follow Joe's instructions, he's the expert on electrical stuff!

Absolutely, I was hoping the Master Thinker would chime in. I know it's something very simple. I am making book on a faulty contactor as there has been others with the same issue.
Merry Christmas to all!

As I know you are on the edge of your seats, to those who thought the contactor was upside down. put one in the wins column. I have been working on this 8-10 hours a day since July and I just had to walk away from it last night. As I said, it was something stupid and it was staring me in the face. Thanks to all.

You'll be flying that by New Years :)

Wow your making great progress Dave. Looking forward to seeing you fly it soon. Merry Christmas!!

Back