What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My flaps are too long!

toolmanmike

Well Known Member
Patron
Maybe it was just a long day in the shop yesterday, but I remounted my wings so I can set up my flaps. I can’t physically fit my flaps in position. Not even close! I would need to trim a good inch off- no way that can be right.
I originally fitted my quick build ailerons and flaps according to plans while wings were stand alone and fuselage was not started. My gap spacing was set and everything riveted on. Then I took the controls off.
I have set the wing angle, sweep, etc and it is about as perfect as it can be. It just seems my flaps are about an inch too long? I’ll have another look at it today but that was a show stopper last night.
Anyone know what is going on?

ToolmanIMG_4996.jpg

We're gonna need more pics. What's the other side look like when your holding it in that position? QB wings or just flaps and ailerons? Can you show some detail of the entire hinge riveted to the wing all the way out to the aileron mount brackets?

I wonder if they are RV8 flaps. My hinges look like they are about that much further away from the fuselage.

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 193
I wonder if they are RV8 flaps. My hinges look like they are about that much further away from the fuselage.

This is a good thought. My RV-7 flaps measure roughly 56.5" between the rivet lines of the inboard and outboard ribs - would be a good thing to check.

Let's confirm Mikeyb's suspicions-
RV-7 flap - width at trailing edge 58", width at front spar 56.5", inside edge should project in towards the fuselage about
1 3/16"

Attachments

• flap1.jpg
    flap1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 142
Both sides are the same.
They are quick build flaps, wings, and ailerons.
I can give more pics but this is really weird. Maybe they are Rv-8 flaps?!
Thanks for the measurements. I will measure and post to here this afternoon. I have an email in to tech support as well. I can’t be this dumb!

Yeah, maybe.

The TE of my (uninstalled) RV-8 flap is 61” exactly. This has not been cut to fit to the fuse.

I would have loved to see the look on your face when you put the flaps on and they didnt fit. Im sure it was an interesting moment! Several times in my build I had times when I just stood there with my mouth hanging open - but they were never like this!

They must be 8 or 9 flaps. I cant wait to hear the rest of this story!

WTH.....

Both sides are the same.
They are quick build flaps, wings, and ailerons.
I can give more pics but this is really weird. Maybe they are Rv-8 flaps?!
Thanks for the measurements. I will measure and post to here this afternoon. I have an email in to tech support as well. I can’t be this dumb!

Yeah, maybe.

Future post: For Sale: two expertly-built RV-8 flaps. :rolleyes:

If they turn out to be RV-8 flaps and there will be a big delay getting replacements from Van’s, I do have a pair of QB RV-7 flaps. Email me if interested.

Krea dot Ellis at gmail dot com

RV 8? 7? 9? flaps??

Gents, I believe I may have the wrong flaps!!!
flap leading.jpg
this is the width of my flaps at the Leading Edge =58" at the rivet line

flap trailing.jpg

This is the width at the trailing (uncut) end = 61"

Now please tell me the 7 and 8 Ailerons are the SAME?? I have attached a pic of mine. 54" at the widest.
aileron width.jpg

MBurch- I measured center of rivets to rivets but the inboard rib is on a diagonal. So the measurements would vary depending on where you go from. However, all my measurements were longer than you stated.

Toolman

My QB ailerons were labelled 7/8 so I think you're safe there. Was there not a part number on your flaps when they were delivered?

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_102053.jpg
    IMG_20200531_102053.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 62
My -8 aileron measures the same, 54”

Note my measurement above for my -8 flap is the entire length of the trailing edge, as built (slow build). Wings are not mated to fuse yet so the flaps are untouched.

I don't know the difference between the -7 and -8 flap.

But on my RV8, when I first fitted the flap to the fuselage, the inboard end was a bit too long, maybe from 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I had to carefully trim the end so that the upper flap skin is contoured to fit flush with the curvature of the fuselage. The picture is the finished product and there was about 1/16 gap between the upper skin of the flap to the fuselage skin.

So in summary, my -8 flaps were a bit on the long side and I had to trim them on both sides.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 135
RV7 & 8 ailerons take same spar so are the same.
RV7 & 8 wing rear spar webs are the same, difference being a longer riveted on tab on the 8 where it bolts to the fuselage.
That longer tab & fuselage shape difference requires a slightly longer flap on the 8.
The OP was originally discussing FLAPS, so my prior reply was based on FLAPS, I didn’t note he was now questioning AILERONS..,

My RV-7 flaps measure roughly 56.5" between the rivet lines of the inboard and outboard ribs

MBurch- I measured center of rivets to rivets but the inboard rib is on a diagonal. So the measurements would vary depending on where you go from. However, all my measurements were longer than you stated.

Sorry, I should have specified that I was measuring between the aftmost rivets (widest dimension between end rib rivet lines).

flap skin trim required?

Uhm, don't the 7 and 8 have the same wing....therefore the same ailerons and flaps? (Sorry, don't have 7 or 8 prints to look at drawings.) The only difference would be how the flaps are trimmed where they meet the fuselage.

My 6 flaps required trimming at the fuselage end. Of course...that was way back in the jurasic build era when we had to smelt our own aluminum. ;)

Thanks to you all. Good news about the Ailerons. Will have to wait to hear back from Vans. I'll update when I have more info.

toolman

The RV8 has a wing area of 116sqft. and a 24' wing span. Fuse is about 12" narrower.

The RV7 has a wing area of 121 sqft. and a 25' wing span.
rv8.JPGrv7.JPG

They are different

I have had a look at the RV7 and RV8 plans and the flap skins are different for sure. Obviously then also the spar and a few other parts. I do not have any close to me to measure the total lengths.

-8 flaps...

The flaps are different between the -7 and the -8.

The "tell" is that large curve in the inside upper skin -- that is a feature of the -8 skin (FL-801-L/R top skin). The -7 analog, FL-701-L/R, doesn't have that shape.

Looks like you got the wrong subassemblies from the QB.

Its the same wing on a wider fuselage, so area is greater!
Wing area includes the part of the fuselage between the wings (=span*mean chord).

I thought the same thing until I noticed this....
RV6ws.JPGRV4ws.JPG

So Van's must be wrong somewhere.

RV-6 uses the same wing as RV-4, spars still go to the centre of the fuselage, same span so area is the same.
RV-7 & 8 use the same wing with different carry through structure in the fuselage, 7 has a longer span and so a greater area.

Conclusion

Just wanted to report back. The Mother ship has confirmed they are indeed RV8 flaps. Working on replacements now. Hope the wait is not too long.

Toolman.

Back