What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My firewall is drumming

N208ET

Well Known Member
It only happens at low idle. I figured out what the noise was by sticking my feet under my rudder pedals and resting them on the firewall, which makes the drumming stop and I could also feel it through my shoes. Does anybody think this is worth doing something about, or should I leave it as one of those tendencies my 8A will forever have.

Randy

You could add a stiffener, carefully placed.
Like a left over piece of elevator rib.
But if it occurs only at low idle, and never in a continuous operating mode, you could live with it? Adding any weight to your plane is just bad, and it all adds up over time :(

Super Soundproofing

I glued super soundproofing to the inside of my firewall and forward floor, during the final stages of construction. This might help your problem. I did not us the self adhesive type I used the other kind a little lower on the page and used 3m spray adhesive from Lowes, I guess either would work, but I know mine has not come loose.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/sound.html

That 3m sound and vibration damping panels, further down the page, might be a good fix also.

Last edited:
Might do a stiffener

We'll see if a better solution comes to me in my sleep. I have gave a little thought to putting soundproofing in the firewall, but that adds weight, and my planes weighs 1040 lbs, nice and light, trying to keep it that way. So far a well placed stiffener may be in the works. Thanks

Randy
8A

Back