What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My completed RV-9A panel!

Camillo

Well Known Member
End of nightmare! My electrical system and IFR panel are done!

Day view

2vbobh1.jpg

2mnovi1.jpg

n1574n.jpg

Night view light (white) (LED still needs to be sticked)

2i8kt1w.jpg

Night view disco-style (white + blue)

172ut1.jpg

Last edited:
Really Nice!

You've pretty much nailed what I'd like to do when I can upgrade the panel on my 9A. I like the conventional backup and the easy sight line to either array. Only thing I'd do different is replace the ADF head with a Val429. Here in the U.S., we can use GPS to identify pretty much any NDB fix. The Val would give a second, independent VOR receiver and could also be used to display both GPS or VOR output from the GNS430, should your EFIS go blank. Good job.
You're really going to appreciate the 9A as an instrument platform. Very stable in both roll and pitch.
Regards,
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

It looks very nice...

Did you do the metalwork yourself? I noticed it is much nicer that the standard blank that comes with the kit. Rounded edges, switch panel inset, etc. What kind of finish is on the metal?

Last edited:
Thank-you very much!

I made all by myself. I used Van's non prepunched panel as a chassis for the 3 subpanels (which I made from 0.063'' 2024 aluminium sheet from Spruce). I removed 95% of Van's panel and left only the outer edge and 2 vertical strips. Basically, I made something similar to what Affordable Panels does.

The flap handle is made from an aluminium bar. I then made a hole along its lenght, rounded the switch lever and made a 90° hole on handle and lever to accept a small screw. Then, I made a U-shaped bracket to stop the handle from moving. Both handle and bracket are chromed.

The switch breakers bar is made from the U-channel which came with the QB. It is fixed on the lower edge of the chassis with screws and on its outer edges with the air vent plates.

The painting was made from a professional besides my hangar (matt finish, don't know the brand...sorry). Letters are from Decal-Pro (not really satisfied with the result).

I also dimmed all avionics light. Still have to configure radios to accept dimming from external 12V input.

Last edited:
What size air vents did you put in?

Are the air vents 2" or are they smaller? It maybe me but they look smaller than 2" but it might be the photo. I'm debating now whether to go with the smaller vents Stein sells.

You got a nice clean panel.

Nice job Camillo, your panel really turned out very nice (very clean and very functional). Incidentally, those are the smaller 2" vents in silver that Camillo has in his plane.

Cheers,
Stein

Yes, air vents are 2'' vents from Stein.

Ehi, Stein. A couple of days ago I was sure to have lost my vents (had my third hangar movement) and went to your website to order new ones... Fortunately, hangar hides, but doesn't steal...

ADF is mandatory in Italy for IFR. An Alitalia pilot came yesterday and told me it is not necessary, since I have a 430. I don't know. My engineer didn't ask for it, but here 50% procedures require an ADF, at least as IF. GNS430W, since WAAS in Italy is not active, is good only for enroute and not for terminal approaches. I got it used from a Van's forum member. I preferred saving time and spend some more money instead of trying to determine if it is really necessary or not. I already spent 1770 hours on airplane and maybe 2000 on the web and on the books to have this plane nearly finished...

Edit: I would like to add that I hate flying with GA airplanes and have to jump here and there to find the right switch (battery on the left, avionics master on the right, strobes again on the left, etc...). I placed my switch breakers from left to right in order of (typical) use: battery, alternator, lights, pump, pitot, etc... To make this, I had to make a few jumper on the back of the breaker panel to let breakers share the same bus bar. I hope time spent will be paid...

Last edited:
Nice

Nice panel. ADFs are for real IFR pilots.

One word of caution. Can you dim the landing light and boost pump lights? While doing a night IFR approach with the boost pump and lights on, you might find it annoying.

No, unfortunately I can't. I only had one Van's dimmer and it is already full.
On the other side, I made a terminal block just behind the SkyView and in a future I could add a second one, with a second knob to control the dimmer.

Back