What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Must have upgrades from vendors?

I've placed my order for the RV-14A and just thinking about any must-have upgrades that folks would recommend.

I'm heading to Oshkosh for a couple of days (yes I know it's not long enough!), but since I am based in Scotland, I want to take the opportunity to stop by any vendors I might use in the future, I've got a few on the list already, but I'd appreciate any others you'd recommend!

Here's what I have:
- Stein Air
- Classic Aero Interiors
- Garmin
- JD Air Parts
- Vertical Power (Hanger C, 3167)
- EarthX
- Beringer

Hoses

If Aircraft Speciality & Flitelines are there, ask about their -14 hose packages, both for fuel, forward & aft of the firewall and brakes.
Works of art, and the fits are perfect!

They also supply Beringer.

Trawl through their website for details.

Hi Matt, and welcome to VAF!

Shameless self promotion:
You won't be needing lights for a while but let us at least educate you while you're there. We are diagonally across the way from Van's Aircraft display area. Look for all the flashing lights!

Also just next to Van's:

FLyleds

Second the flyleds product and service is amazing, have assembled them ready for install, the testing shows they will exceed expectations.

Would like a JD Air latch, great looking product, would be better if there was a way to lock it.

Aerosport Power for an engine. Long time supplier of engines to the RV world.

Aerosport Power for an engine. Long time supplier of engines to the RV world.

I was told by aerosport a month or so ago they are unable to build me a io390 equivalent as they can’t get a parts kit. Was a shame as I always thought doing the build school there would be awesome.

I've placed my order for the RV-14A and just thinking about any must-have upgrades that folks would recommend.

I'm heading to Oshkosh for a couple of days (yes I know it's not long enough!), but since I am based in Scotland, I want to take the opportunity to stop by any vendors I might use in the future, I've got a few on the list already, but I'd appreciate any others you'd recommend!

Here's what I have:
- Stein Air
- Classic Aero Interiors
- Garmin
- JD Air Parts
- EarthX
- Beringer

Here's what I have:
- Stein Air - if you are there early in the week (M-W), ask for a young man named Keith. He is an ATP airline pilot, CFII and A&P. He has helped build an award winning RV-7 and an RV-10 (both with SteinAir panels), plus instructed and flown a good bit in an RV-14. Very knowledgeable. As an aside - his grandmother was from Prestwick so I know he will enjoy talking with you.
- Classic Aero Interiors - they are not attending, but if you reach out to them, they will advise of you if any of their customers are there with their airplanes.
- Garmin - hard to miss them - large presence at OSH.
- JD Air Parts
- EarthX
- Beringer

As others have mentioned, stop by and see Tom and/or Steve at Aircraft Specialty Flightlines. Best customer service in this space and great people.

Although they can't paint your plane (unless you fly it back across the pond), talk with Jonathan at Evoke Aviation Design. Many of the award winning planes at SNF and OSH had their paint scheme designed by Evoke (and many were painted there too).

AeroLED's - usually right next to SteinAir. They should have the new Van's RV-10/14 wingtips and integral lighting on display. Available in lightweight carbon fiber as well as fiberglass. Great customer service too.

Last edited:
Vans. Stop by and talk to the good people at Vans. Take lots of pictures of the 14A that’ll be parked there. I’ve referenced the pictures I took, many times in my build. Sit in it, try the grips. Tosten grips, Keven is great to talk to. Amazing customer service. Walk around and take pictures of paint schemes that you like, for future reference.

Great suggestions so far - keep them coming! I hadn't actually thought about the fact that many people will be flying in with their RV-14 - it's my first time at Oshkosh, is it possible to wonder over and admire them all?

is it possible to wonder over and admire them all?

If you don’t, we will have you removed from this forum.
Have you bought any tools yet? Highly recommend Cleaveland Aircraft Tool. Hopefully Mike will be at their booth. He was extremely helpful early in my build going so far as reviewing videos I sent of my dimpling technique and advising how to use sound to know when it was done right. Are you going to use a C frame or other tool for dimpling? Might be able to try them out, but will at least be able to “touch the iron”.
You are going to spend the majority of your build deburring aluminum. If their are any workshops, well worth your time.

Last edited:
Flyboy Accessories for all sorts of cool RV upgrades. You'll likely find Paul McVitty there (FLyLEDs), and me right next door at the Team Rocket display.

Great suggestions so far - keep them coming! I hadn't actually thought about the fact that many people will be flying in with their RV-14 - it's my first time at Oshkosh, is it possible to wonder over and admire them all?

Absolutely! Lots of 14's to checkout in Homebuilt Camping (HBC).

HBC is why we go to Airventure.

I live close to Aerotronics in Billings and got a tour of their facility last year when I got my transponder/static done. Very impressed with their work!

Also, DEFINITELY FlyLEDs. Best, most worth it upgrade on my entire aircraft!

Dynon & Advanced

All great suggestions.
If you're on the fence talk to Dynon and Advanced Flight Systems. Their Advanced Control Module is very similar in operation to the VPX. The big difference is it manages power, ground, audio and data. Basically plug & play all your boxes. It even has a built in ARINC for the Garmin Navigator. Worth a look. FlyLEDs integrate as well.

I really hate to break the news to ya'll but YES, Aircraft Specialty Flightlines/TS Flightlines will be there, just not where you think. Short (sometimes) tram ride to the ultralite area, booth 948. Cant miss it. Big blue tent right next to Vintage camping. Pics of the tent. OH and from the Air---Thanks Larry!! Steve is the young energetic guy, Im the old stubby guy. OH---as a special treat, during the week we'll have a couple of our production shop guys there that actually built your assemblies. Come meet Cory and Cody (no not related).:eek:

Yes we'll have the 14A cabin mockup again, and possibly some new things. Come on down. :D

Tom

Attachments

• 1st exhibit OSH 2021.jpg
    1st exhibit OSH 2021.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 88
  • exhibit from the air.jpg
    exhibit from the air.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 59
Dynon and Advanced - savings

If you're on the fence talk to Dynon and Advanced Flight Systems...

In addition to what Larry wrote, you might talk to Dynon & Advanced about the time and effort saved by using them to pre-assemble your panel.

I chose to build my own panel and wiring... but when I saw the Dynon boxes at another RV-14A builder's home, "plug and play" looked very attractive.

Check out David Buckwalter from Avionics Systems.

David does fantastic panel work and is the guy Mike Patey calls for custom avionics and panels (Draco, Scrappy). He always has a booth at Oshkosh but is more low key on the marketing side. He doesn't need to do much advertising as his reputation keeps him very busy. He has some very innovative design touches that support initial installation and future maintenance.

A couple of build tool I consider essential.

If you are able to put your hands on a Numatx squeezer while you are there, I would highly recommend it. The Numatx, and a deburring wheel form Cleaveland tool on a dedicated harbor freight grinder motor will make your build much much easier and more fun. Consider getting a course and fine wheel. These will save you hours (probably days, weeks, years?) of time.

And absolutely go to homebuilt camping & parking and see what others have done with their 14 builds! That is a must do.

Things i did and would absolutely do again:-

• FlyLEDs for your lights - super bit of kit and outstanding service.
  • Andair Fuel Tap
  • TS Flightlines for Brake Hoses - great bit of kit and outstanding service
  • EarthEx Lithium Battery and Battery Box
  • AntiSplat Nose Job
  • AntiSplat Easy out Bar
  • AntiSplat Control Lock
  • Lemke Aero interior Carpets, Seats, Side Panels - Great Service, Quality and Price

Hope that helps

ER tanks

You might also consider the ER tanks from Ken at Sky Designs.

If SDS are there you might want to check out their ignition and fuel, or just their ignition.

I second the Lemke suggestion, particularly as they are in Europe.

Thanks everyone! Super helpful, will try to visit as many of these vendors at Oshkosh as I can, and will visit the websites of any that aren't attending, or that I don't see.

Back