What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Music

rcarson

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me of a good AM,FM, CD player that is good quality , portable and can also be used in the aircraft? My wife wants one for her own personal use but I can't see buying one we can't use in the plane also. Idealy it would be something reasonably compact. Any additional antenna wouldn't be a problem. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Get an MP3 player - as in iPod, iPad and/or iPhone....

CDs are so yesterday and probably won't work as well in the plane. Guaranteed skip on landing which will wake up your passenger though so theres that.

Yep, MP3 player is the way to go these days or even XM music if you have XM service.....a ton of the small MP3 players have built in FM recievers as well. They work really good given how small they are!

PS Engineering makes an audio panel with built in MP3 Player.

My Aera portable GPS has a built in MP3 Player and that is what I use for tunes...hundreds of the songs I like on a small micro SD card.

Last edited:
iPhone plus bluetooth headset. Downside is that I don't think you can connect multiple headsets to a single iPhone. Upside is you get two of them, one for you and one for the passenger.

greg

I like a high-capacity media player like the larger iPod. My 120GB Zune has my entire music collection, my first flight videos, and many pictures. It goes everywhere: plugs into the home theater, my truck, my RV-6A panel, and the CD player I keep at the hangar, not to mention on walkabout with me using headphones. I honestly don't care that much about radio (not since the 70s), but my wife likes XM for weather and traffic.

I still keep CDs, mostly as a backup for the Zune. I carry a portable DVD player (soon to be a Blu-ray) with my netbook just in case, but I rarely need it. My DVDs are all ripped onto MyBook drives, about 5TB worth, and I can download a dozen or so onto my M11x, which already has the backup of my Zune. That's more than enough for a trip; I don't watch a lot of movies when I go somewhere. The Alienware M11x has more than enough performance to play hi-def movies and has an HDMI interface to connect to a TV or home theater.

I am such a gear head when it comes to computers and media. Anyway, on trips I end up carrying my netbook, which I would anyway for email and Internet, and a cigarette-pack-size Zune and I've got it all covered.

absolutely an iPod if she doesn't have an iphone already. My daughter will download a movie she wants to watch to her iphone/ipod or listen to her music. It is connected to an aux input on my GMA340 audio panel which I can isolate so she isn't interrupted by all the airplane comm chatter.

IPOD

Use IPOD and Lightspeed Z headsets...each will have thier own tunes...my wife and I like a lot of things but we have music tastes that can diverge somewhat...

Back