What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

music input

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Patron
I just discovered a "music" input jack near the 12v power jack. I have had the plane for a year now, and hadn't seen that before. Does anyone know how it works ?. I followed the ckt on the skyview one-line from the jack to the "logic-pcb header3" board, but I cant tell where it goes from there. with a 2 conductor jack, I wouldn't think my I-phone would connect to it. has anyone used it before ?.

Thanks in advance for input

It's a stereo jack and can be used to play music from your phone or MP3 player through the intercom. If you follow the wiring, it eventually connects to the music inputs on the intercom. At least that's how it is on the D180 set up, not sure about the exact routing on the Skyview. I think that uses the Garmin radio's intercom, so the routing would be different but the function would be the same.

Acording to what I have read, a standard 3.5mm stereo cable should work fine for just playing music. I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks Dale
I will give it a try. I thought my phone jack had 3 or 4 conductors, but maybe only 2 are needed with a common ground.

Phone headset connectors use 4-conductor jacks, so you can use a headset with a mic and buttons. If you plug in a regular stereo (conductor tip/ring/sleeve) plug you just get audio output from the phone, no mic or button inputs. You can try it out -- dig up a pair of older ear buds with a T/R/S plug and plug it into your hone.

Look under the seat cushions for a hundred dollar bill too. Maybe your luck of discovery will continue this weekend. If you try the music from a phone or similar player you will note the music probably softly mutes when ATC coms come on the air.... it is normal and a good thing.

Back