What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Music input question?

Dave12

Well Known Member
For the first time in approx. 100 hours, I plugged an ipod into my i/c and went flying. I instantly had alternator , strobe and ignition noise and radio noise that sounded like the amazon rain forest at night. At first I thought it was the music my daughter loaded onto the ipod but it wasn't. As soon as I unplugged the ipod all was normal. Just wondering if anyone has some ideas or experience with this.

Try cable alone

and see if the noise is coming in the cable; without the ipod connected. Maybe a different type cord will be better. Also, if you made the wire for the input jack how long are the wires and are they shielded at the audio panel only (floating shield is correct method). I know Rocketbob will help out here too! I always appreciate his help.
Dale
RV6a

Like Dave

Rocketbob gave me very detailed explanation on how to wire the audio on my plane. It couldn't have been easier. I'm sure I will have a look on this thread and will gave you some informations.

FYI, most of the wiring in the rv12 is pre-fabricated. The music input was part of the pre-fabrication. I did not try just the wire alone. I was so glad to get rid of the interference it just did not occur to me at the time. I did not make the cord between the ipod and the input jack.

Music

Get a pair of Zulu's if you really want good sound....plug the IPod right into the headsets.

what did you plug it into? Can you provide more specifics? If you have installed an aux input jack for music, make sure you have installed an isolation washer between the jack and the mounting surface. The barrel of the jack should not have any contact with the mounting surface. If it does you can easily pick up all sorts of interference.

I checked the unit a little closer and found that the cord alone will cause the interference. Tried another cord with the same results. I checked the build manual and there is no isolation between the jack and airframe. Any other 12 owners having this problem?

Exact same problem here. I have not bothered to troubleshoot and correct as I have been using the bluetooth link with the Zulu's. Only downside is the Zulu's muting function (when the VHF radio squelch opens), does not mute the music enough.

I will give this a try. Once again, Thanks Joe!

Dave, please post your results!! I am surprised the other RV-12 guys have not tried the music input jack. As I mentioned, the downside to using the Zulu's is the mute function (almost non-existent). When the audio is sent to the intercom from the music jack, the muting function works very well (just cannot put up with the ignition noise).

And to comment on jack isolation, I do not believe there is a separate ground wire running from the jack to the intercom. As such, the jack has to be grounded to the airframe at the jack location.

That's correct on the jack isolation, or the lack of. I won't have the parts until next week, but I will let you know.

Dave,

Please do post your results. I too have the noise, just not bothered to troubleshoot it. I don't need the music that much!

John

I've had the same problem in mine... iCom 210, PS 3000 Intercom, and either a Zulu or my Alpha helmet. I find the iPhone playback and connectivity to the Zulu through bluetooth to be exceptional. I wish I could get that functionality through a wired connection.

I just put a Headsets Inc. kit in my Alpha helmet, and expect it's going to get more use now (as an aside, the noise cancellation is at least as good as the Zulu). So i'm back to trying a wired solution for audio, which wires the stereo input into the intercom. I wonder if it would be better to wire it into the input on the 210?

I am happy that the isolator worked for you, Dave.
I can not remember if the music jack is isolated from ground or not. It should be isolated and have a separate ground wire going back to the firewall. Another option is to run a separate ground wire from the fuel pump to the firewall.
Joe Gores

Back