What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Multiple Master Contactor Failures

rwtalbot

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if there is an alternative to the cheap master contactors that Vans sells? I have just under 3 years and 300 hours on mine. A few months ago it develped a fault where the contactor will not latch when the switch is engaged. It seems to have got "sticky" as a tap, or in one case bouncing the aircraft on the nosewheel causes it to engage.

My hangermate has had similar problems with his only his relay lasted less time than mine.

Mine is wired as per Van's specs with the diode.

What makes this even more anoying is that I bought a new one to replace at annual. The new one has developed the same fault after 10-20 cycles!

So I am wondering if this is a common issue, and if so is there a better unit that can be purchased which has a lower failure rate? As the firewall is already setup to take the Vans unit I would prefer it came in the same sized package.

I did find a Lamar unit at A/C spruce. Does anyone know the story with these? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/solenoidx610028.php

Richard - RV-7A

solenoid

You got my curiosity up. I just conducted a test to see if mounting the solenoid upside down would affect the solenoid plunger/contacts.
I wired a battery to a new Master Solenoid & held it in the UP position(crimped on cap to the top), then shook it up & down- as much as I tried, the contacts would not click open.
If I held the solenoid upside down, or even if the cap was faced 45 degrees from upside down and I shook it, the contact would clatter away.
So... is your solenoid mounted upside down?

ZTRON...

ZTron Labs (Vansairforce Advertiser) has them at a good price. I do not have experience with the Solid State Master, but I have their strobes/LED lights and the quality is VERY high.

I have no connection to them, just a satisfied customer.

Also, I would be interested in why you are having this grief since this is a pretty tried-and-true technology.

This is really a master contactor right? Not a starter solenoid by accident? Remember, contactors are rated for continuous duty, Start Solenoids are not.

Dkb

Last edited:
Make sure that you are using a continuous duty solenoid, which is for the Master. The Starter solenoids are intermittent duty and would not last in a master position.

Do check your switch, if contacts are bad, the sol will not get the amps to hold in. Napa Auto parts sells continuous duty and starter solenoids.

Last edited:
My thoughts also

I bet one of the above answers is the problem. Can you post a picture of your installation, we might be able to see the the problem.

I'm using the ones Vans sent me 560 hrs and counting.

Back