What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Muffler-Cooler Clearance

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Well, I tried everything I could to move the muffler back during the condition inspection and gained less than 1/16 inch, so I did the cowl duct surgery on 143WM today. Bad news is I'll have to wait until next summer to see if it helps.

I am convinced that the root of the problem is how the inner duct is trimmed/fitted-- that's why there's so much variation. I think it also explains why some of us had to make "bulges" in the duct to clear the exhaust pipes and cylinder heads in places. I'd be very interested to know if others experiencing higher than desirable temps during hot weather also had to cut clearance holes-- I had to cit holes for the left hand front exhaust pipe and left rear cylinder head. How about the rest of you?

Now if the oil hoses are long enough to let the cooler move forward tomorrow....

Wayne 120241/143WM

Wayne, the only hose that might be in conflict is the one that runs to the tank which can be re-routed slightly for more length. I had no other problems with the cowl duct clearances. I think you will like the mod as I have heard no negative feedback.

Thanks Dave

Took some work but I didn't have to open the oil system. Turning the top of the reservoir gave me the last half-inch I needed. All the photos were a big help, but it needs to be noted that the vertical cut on the pilot side needs to be over far enough to let the cooler drop into the the new "curved area" crated by new fiberglass on that side. I guestimated the distance from the photos and fortunately thought to measure before the resin started to set up so was able to peel it off and cut some more.

Thanks again for all the work you put into figuring this out and documenting it. I still believe that getting the duct further forward would have eliminated all the problems but that's hindsight.

Wayne 143WM

Took some work but I didn't have to open the oil system. Turning the top of the reservoir gave me the last half-inch I needed. All the photos were a big help, but it needs to be noted that the vertical cut on the pilot side needs to be over far enough to let the cooler drop into the the new "curved area" crated by new fiberglass on that side. I guestimated the distance from the photos and fortunately thought to measure before the resin started to set up so was able to peel it off and cut some more.

Thanks again for all the work you put into figuring this out and documenting it. I still believe that getting the duct further forward would have eliminated all the problems but that's hindsight.

Wayne 143WM

I suppose I did fail to mention this but I did make a cardboard template of the O/D of the oil cooler to use for this.

Back