What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mt. Rushmore

pa38112

Well Known Member
What is the best airport to fly into to visit Mt. Rushmore in an RV, and how easy/difficult is the transportation to/from there? My wife and I are thinning of jumping over there from Oshkosh.

I went into Custer Co. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCUT but didn't stay.
The fellow that runs the airport is a well know great guy. Call him and he'll answer your questions.
Flew by the monument, then Crazy Horse then Devil's Tower on the way out of the area.
There is helicopter traffic around the monuments so stay on freq. and be careful.
If I can remember the hassle to post photos I'll get a couple.....

Last edited:
Flew into Rapid City last summer. Rented a car and drove to Custer and Mt. Rushmore. The folks at Rapid City were great, had the rental car ready, and got us a hotel in town at a good rate.

Stopped at the Custer airport. Looked like no services, just a small hangar and a few tie downs.

-Dan

En route Las Vegas, looked at the route and said to the FO, we are flying right over Devil's Tower....

Silence.

You know - as in CE3K.....

Silence.

How old are you ?

OMG

Well - there was once this film.......:rolleyes:

It was a lost moment.

However, I got a cracking view of Jellystone this morning also en route Vegas. 2 night layover and back on Sunday. Be quick if you want a beer.

mike at graffika dot biz

Flew into Rapid City last summer. Rented a car and drove to Custer and Mt. Rushmore. The folks at Rapid City were great, had the rental car ready, and got us a hotel in town at a good rate.

-Dan

We did that a few years ago... it worked out well.

I made a mistake of believing the Alex Johnson hotel web site that said no rooms. The FBO could have got us rooms for the historic hotel - which starred in the classic "North by Northwest" movie...

And, for Mike N. and the previous post... the FO would probably have to be retired to remember the movie I referenced.... :)

Last edited:
Hot Springs!

As was mentioned earlier, we (Vetterman Exhaust) are located 8 miles east of the Hot Springs airport. Let us know if you happen by, we would love to meet any of you.
The airport has 2 rental/courtesy vehicles, and the city hanger is always available if hail is a concern. While Custer is closer to Mt Rushmore, Hot Springs has a longer runway and crosswind runway, and HS is over 2,000 feet lower elevation then Custer. Hope this helps. Clint

Back