What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT govern

Imagine47

Has anyone installed MT governor on the back of 360 A1A?
The governor was supplied by Vans in lieu of Hartzell with which I am familiar as part of RV8 FF “kit”. More on that another time. 😒
The spline appears to be off center allowing only one orientation for insertion of the governor into the pad as expected. The control arm is then 180 degrees off from where Vans would have you insert the control cable via the bracket.
Can the arm be rotated? Or another suggestion welcome. Question sent to MT but nothing yet. I have given up on Vans tech support. It ain’t like the old days.
Thanks
Greg Beckner
RV14A built, flown, sold (bad dog)
Rv12 built
RV 14 mostly built waiting on Lycoming

I
Has anyone installed MT governor on the back of 360 A1A?
The governor was supplied by Vans in lieu of Hartzell with which I am familiar as part of RV8 FF “kit”. More on that another time. 😒
The spline appears to be off center allowing only one orientation for insertion of the governor into the pad as expected. The control arm is then 180 degrees off from where Vans would have you insert the control cable via the bracket.
Can the arm be rotated? Or another suggestion welcome. Question sent to MT but nothing yet. I have given up on Vans tech support. It ain’t like the old days.
Thanks
Greg Beckner
RV14A built, flown, sold (bad dog)
Rv12 built
RV 14 mostly built waiting on Lycoming
I originally had an MT governor on my RV-8 with an IO-360-A1A (not the same animal as an O-360-A1A of course). I recall having to undo the six screws holding the control arm cover plate on, and rotating the assembly to an orientation where the cable bracket will work. You have to undo three of those screws anyway to mount the bracket, so it was not much of a big deal.

I did remove the MT governor when there was an AD out for the governors failing. It seemed they had changed the design to make it cheaper to build, and there were a few in-flight failures leading to severe over-speed events. Mine wasn't covered by the AD, but I lost confidence in a company that would do that, and not do much to help the victims. (An early lesson repeated later by Superior!). Presumably they have redesigned the governor since then to fix that problem. There are down-sides to the Hartzell governor too - mainly that it won't govern below about 1600 RPM, so you can't help out your engine-out glide by pulling the prop control back.

Back