What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MP line.

stamper

Well Known Member
okay so the vans instructions have the MP line going off the right side to the firewall and I know that that is good if one is using the round gages, but if you are using an electric MP sender what have people done?
Run the line from the left side to the right and hooked it up to the block on the firewall or move the line to the left side and then to the block on the firewall?
thanks in advance for any and all input. Also if you had it to do again would you still run it the same way?

okay so the vans instructions have the MP line going off the right side to the firewall and I know that that is good if one is using the round gages, but if you are using an electric MP sender what have people done?
Run the line from the left side to the right and hooked it up to the block on the firewall or move the line to the left side and then to the block on the firewall?
thanks in advance for any and all input. Also if you had it to do again would you still run it the same way?

It has nothing to due with the type of gauges you are using. The default port on a 540 is on the right rear of the engine. The location for the electronic mp sensor is determined by the physical connection to the engine. You can run wire anywhere.

I used several Adel clamps to mount the transducer and hose to the motor mount on the right side, thereby keeping the hose short. Wish I had a photo, it works. Some other folks have routed a hose from the left side to the firewall manifold block. This will be a longer hose. According to the Garmin installation manual, both methods are acceptable, but the Adel clamp method is preferred. I didn't ask why, I just followed directions. The Garmin manual also notes that "To minimize the possibility of cracking or breaking of the transducer due to vibration, the sensor should not be mounted directly to the engine. Mechanical failure of the transducer
could result in loss of engine pressure for the sensed parameter (oil, fuel, manifold, coolant)." This was in 14.3.4 of Revision L of the G3X installation manual, they are probably several revisions further along now, but it is a goldmine of good information.

I had to install a restrictor fitting, as described in posts in the archives, as my MP would hunt more than a good bird dog without it.

Last edited:
okay so now I am confused. Does the line go from the right side to the firewall like it shows in the vans plans or do I need to take the line to the block on the firewall?

I ran the hose from the engine right-rear, thru a firewall pass-thru, to a convenient location for the transducer (a rib supporting the glareshield). From there run wires to wherever.

The manifold block for fuel and oil pressure is mounted on the left side of the firewall. The manifold pressure port most often used is on #5, right side, as it faces to the rear. So, you have choices. I believe the two preferred options are to 1) run the hose from #6 to the left side firewall block, and make it a threesome or 2) mount a solo mp transducer on the right side, either to the firewall or motor mount, and take a short hose run off #5. I suppose you could run a hose from the right side across to the manifold block, but there is no reason to not move the transducer closer to the port and avoid the long hose run.

Last edited:
As you wish

This part is according to plans.

IMG_2026.JPG

You'll need MP for all sorts of things behind the firewall.
In my case, EI and engine monitor.
Get a copper line or hose to the fire wall and then you can use tubing to distribute your MP to whatever instrument needs it.
Bottom line, bring the MP to the sensor either on the fire wall or preferably behind it.

okay so now I am confused. Does the line go from the right side to the firewall like it shows in the vans plans or do I need to take the line to the block on the firewall?

Who's mp sensor are you planning on installing? One from Van's or your EFIS vendor? Regardless, both will supply rather specific instructions for installation.

Like several have already mentioned, mine comes of the right rear of the engine with a hose to the firewall. A special fitting on the firewall connected to a tube to the mp sensor which is mounted on a rib on the right side of the panel. I have a sensor that was supplied by AFS. The process was slightly different than those specified by Vans, in that the tubing was a different diameter to accommodate the different brand sensor.

It has nothing to do with the manifold block for fuel and oil sensors on the firewall.

AHHHHHH the fun things about expertimentals! The ability to customize some things to suit the builder.

There are many ways to do this, and all of them are "correct".
Tom

my sender is one supplied by my ephis screens. Thanks for all the input. sounds like I can do it a couple different ways.

As something of a case in point, the installation manual for my AFS engine monitor suggests pretty strongly that the MAP sensor be installed on the cabin side of the firewall in order to improve longevity.

Wherever you mount the sensor and hose, make sure it will be serviceable/replaceable when the time comes. Some things in the engine compartment get real "tight" after the build.

-Marc

I used the MP port on the left side right in front of cylinder 6, with a 45 deg fitting BARELY fitting. Hose routing was much better for me. I ran to to the 3rd opening on the stock firewall mounted sensor block.

I even used the braided line included in the MP kit that came with the FWF (I think that's the kit it came with)

IMG_4153.JPG

No complaints after 60 hours!

Sensor block:

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

Sensors left to right (in the photo, not aircraft left/right)

Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Manifold Pressure

The extra compression fitting on the block's MP port is a line that sends MP to the Lightspeed Ignition boxes I have mounted behind the panel.

Back